Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

carolwat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2013
Hi

I am having trouble with an iphone 3gs on ios 6.1.3 on baseband 05.16.08. Is it even possible to jailbreak and unlock it please?

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
Yes, jailbreak with redsn0w, it will be a tethered JB.

For the unlock you need first upgrade to the iPad BB and then downgrade to the 05.13.04 BB

iClarified has the proper tutorials for it

carolwat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2013
Can I use a tutorial for ios 6 or does it specifically need to be 6.1.3. There are so many on there. Also when ive tried redsnow already it asks abut manufacturers date and bootrom being old or new. The instructions on finding this out differ to something I used online which told me the answers after i put in my serial number.

carolwat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2013
When I run redsnow it goes through the jailbreak then says exploit failed. What am I doing wrong, im following the tutorial.

Its ok, I found a solution to this and it seems to be jailbreaking now. Its still in the process though but its certainly going further that it did.

Last edited:

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Make sure you have the right info before you start doing stuff you don't understand. You wouldn't want to mess up your phone (especially the baseband part)

You need to point redsn0w to a iOS 6.0 firmware package to tether jailbreak 6.1.3

carolwat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2013
Its just not happening. Ive jailbroke iphones before on an older ios without problem but this one has me beat. I must be doing something wrong. Im now just restoring it to original settings using itunes restore button and not pointing to any other files. Im still stuck though because although the damn thing is supposed to be locked to o2 and despite purchasing an o2 payg sim it says no service. I spoke to o2 the other day who said top up and make a call, I topped up online but it still says no service so ive wasted more money. Im fed up with it now and dont know what else to do I can follow tutorials but this just wont do it. I dont know what it is, ive been told on another forum it cant be jailbroken but here im told it can be. Could it be that it wont jailbreak because of the modem firmware or the serial number??? Any help is much appreciated as this is supposed to be a xmas present for my son. I dont even mind paying for a proper unlock but i cant even do that with o2 until I can make a call using the o2 sim. They checked and its not imei blocked either.

----------

I thought i had done so Darricksailo. I downloaded the iPhone2,1_6.0_10A403_Restore file and pointed to that using redsnow. I believe it isnt the new phone so selected the appropriate reply and I also believe its the old bootrom so selected that too.

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
There is a tether jailbreak available for the 3GS on 6.1.3

You have to point redsn0w to a 6.0 ipsw to jailbreak it

For the software unlock, what's the first 5 digits of your serial number?

If it was originally locked to o2, I don't see why it won't get service with an o2 sim card

carolwat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2013
when i use redsnow i choose select Extras and then select ispw, I then point it to the iPhone2,1_6.0_10A403_Restore file I have downloaded and saved to my computer.

The serial number is 32049 which I believe means it was made week 4 2009 therefore is an older phone with the old bootrom.

I have absolutely no idea why the stupid thing just says no service. Ive just bought it and was told it was locked to o2 which it also says on the about tab and they have confirmed its not blocked which I had begun to fear. I just know its driving me mad. Thank you for the help and patience.

squeryk

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2013
Hello. is it possible to do an untethered jailbreak or only the tethered one is available?

Thank you.

Also, does 'tethered' mean I have to redo the jailbreak every time my phone switches off?

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
Hello. is it possible to do an untethered jailbreak or only the tethered one is available?

Thank you.

Also, does 'tethered' mean I have to redo the jailbreak every time my phone switches off?

Only tethered on 6.1.3

Restarting ye you need to use redsn0w and hit Just Boot

Mostly you will just need a respring, which can be done on the device without any connection

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.