Can I Jailbreak a non-activated 2g?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Badfoot, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Badfoot macrumors 6502

I'm in the UK and I have been given a USA 2g to replace my stolen 3gs until the iphone 4 comes out. This phone has an ATT sim in and the 'connect to iTunes' screen shows when turned on.

When I connect it wants to activated the phone with ATT and wants me to select a plan.

I don't want to use the phone with ATT, I want to jailbreak/unlock it, or even just use it as an iPod, but how do I get passed the activation stage?

2. RNVarma macrumors regular

3. Badfoot thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the quick response. I don't know firmware of the phone, I cant get past the activation stage. I've guessed at 3.0 and run redsnow and pointed it to the ispw file for this firmware. It's now been on the 'waiting to reboot' screen for about 20mins. I guess the firmware on the phone is not 3.0 for this ispw file. Is this ever going to reboot or shall I cancel and try another ispw file guess..how many ispw files are there ? ( I see 18 from your link) any other way to verify which mine is running or a way to intelligently guess, or do I try all? (would take forever just to download them

It won't mess anything up be trying a wrong one will it?

4. RNVarma macrumors regular

Does iTunes recognize it? I suppose you could just do a restore to 3.1.3 and then proceed with RedSn0w from there.

Is it possible to cancel it?

There are numerous ISPWs, that's why I would recommend restoring to 3.1.3.

5. Badfoot thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes I can cancel it, but I can't get passed the 'please activate' screen on iTunes. It does recognise the phone but only offers this activation screen.

6. Badfoot thread starter macrumors 6502

Update

Tried Blackra1n, this didn't work BUT it did leave it in recovery mode. iTunes then offered to restore it to latest firmware 3.1.3

Tried redsnow again but it didn't like the ispw 3.1.3 file i found. will look for another source of this file and post results.

7. RNVarma macrumors regular

The ISPW files link should be in that iClarified.com tutorial.

8. Badfoot thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes tried the 3.1.3 one but when I run Redsnow (0.9.4), I point it to that ispw file, it processes it but then it says the file is not recognised.

I tried pointing it at a 3.0 ispw file just to check and this one was accepted. I have tried another source of ispw 3.1.3 file, including that which downloaded on my pc when I did the restore and update of the iphone, still not recognised.

Is this 3.1.3 ispw file a standard apple file, or is the version I need modified?

9. RNVarma macrumors regular

You won't need a modified ISPW, just the one from Apple.com.

10. Badfoot thread starter macrumors 6502

OK sussed it with your help and from this other post

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=925477&highlight=redsnow

Basically with the phone running 3.1.3, using Redsnow 0.9.4 you point it not at ipsw 3.1.3 but at ipsw 3.1.2 ! for some reason. It's mentioned in the quoted post and I tried it and works a treat.

Actually it was my neice who had her O2 unlocked 3gs stolen in Sweden. She has been given this 2g from a friend in USA hence the need to JB and unlock.

Thanks to all concerned.