Can i jailbreak iphone 3gs 5.13.04

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ny2nctova, Aug 5, 2010.

1. ny2nctova macrumors member

ny2nctova

With jailbreakme.com?

Will i lose contacts or anything in the process?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

3. ny2nctova thread starter macrumors member

ny2nctova

Can i unlock it aswell?

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

5. ny2nctova thread starter macrumors member

ny2nctova

Your a great help applejuiced.

6. cadburys macrumors newbie

Hi,

As per "jailbreakme.com" this will work on device itself. But after an upgrade of my iphone 3gs 32gb with IOS4.0 & baseband 5.13.04 i can see only the emergency call screen and nothing else....:(:(
    Is there any way to get rid of that screen to jailbreak and unlock the iphone?

Thanks in advance!
    :confused:

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You will always lose the JB and unlock each time you restore or update to official firmware thru itunes.
    You need to activate the phone first so it lets you into the homescreen.
    Then you can open safari and install the JB again and then unlock.
    Find someone with an official sim so you can activate it.
    No other way around it.

8. cadburys macrumors newbie

Dear Applejuiced,

Thanks for your prompt reply!
    Actually i bought this iphone from out of my country in working condition with all service providers.
    So i assume it can't be jailbroken or activated without the original working sim as of now and i am screwed out myself by upgrading it ....:(

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Do you know what country or what provider is locked to?
    If its locked to AT&T for example you can buy any AT&T simcard even an old inactive sim and it will activate it officially each time.
    Its not locked to the original sim but will work with any sim from that carrier.
    Look on ebay, they sell them for $3-5 each.

PS. also be extra carefull with a JB and unlocked iphone.
    You dont update it each time there is an update thru itunes. You will lose your JB and unlock if you do and might have to wait many months again for a new unlock for the updated baseband.

10. cadburys macrumors newbie

11. LaeeqB macrumors newbie

Actually there is no need to buy a SIM off of Ebay...I just went to an AT&T store and told them I needed an inactive SIM for activating the iPhone and they gave it to me free of charge without taking any info or asking questions.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That would work great if he was in the US :D

13. LaeeqB macrumors newbie

14. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)
    Actually this is a big help to me. I'm planning on picking up an iPhone 3gs very soon off of craiglist with the intent of unlocking and using with t-mobile. It's for my wife and right now she's using an n82 w/ the 5.99 t-zones plan. I didn't consider that I would be needing an AT&T sim, I was just going to buy the phone from the seller, make sure it powered on or whatever, and that would be that.

I have a follow up question - the iPhone 3gs that I have my eye on has applecare. But I was wondeirng how I could take advantage of that if I'm not with AT&T?

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Applecare follows the device and not the owner.
    So even if you sold it again to someone else that person can still bring it to apple to have it exchanged if something goes wrong.
    I dont think they can deny you just because you dont have an AT&T account.

16. cadburys macrumors newbie

Unfortunately i do not have original sim .....somehow lost that too and not even sure for carrier :(
    I bought this from Australia but was using in India from last one year.
    Is there any other way around to know the original carrier name to which iphone actually contracted or else to unlock?
    Thanks!

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You cant remember what companys sim you had in there?
    There's no way to tell what carrier its locked to.
    You might have to guess and keep buying official australian sims or something.

18. Badfoot macrumors 6502

Going from memory here so bear with me, I'm in UK and had a US 2G given to me to unlock. This also only allowed emergency calls. I ran Blackra1n on it, which failed, but it did leave it in recovery mode and recognised by iTunes where I could update to the latest firmware. I then used redsnow/ultrasnow etc and managed it ok.

FYI

ps, just remembered it had an AT&T sim in it but wasn't activated, and I didn't think I could without signing up with AT&T, so somehow the running of Blackra1n 'hacktivated' it. This might have worked with any sim, worth a try ?

19. cadburys macrumors newbie

Hi Applejuiced,

My iphone is locked to Vodafone Australia which i got to know from the guy i bought this phone but unfortunately he doesn't have any Vodafone sim and also left Australia and moved to UK.....:(:confused::(
    But here in India too I am with Vodafone only but seem for unlocking this must be on Australian Vodafone only ....right?

Also, i can see lot many sites like "http://unlock4iphone.net" claiming full gurantee for jailbreaking and unlocking the iphone regardless any version.
    Do you have any idea of those sites if they are really genuine or fake?

Thxxxxxx

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, you will need to get it officially unlocked thru Australia Vodafone or get a simcard thru the internet from them to activate it.
    Stay away from those sites, they're a scam.

21. Mr Mot macrumors member

Instead of getting an official SIM for activation, you can use a "phonebook SIM"
    I had to use one today to activate a 3GS on 4.0.1 as the phone is locked to LUXGSM network and I'm in the UK.

This will work for an iPhone locked to any network.

22. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)
    I picked up the iPhone 3gs I mentioned earlier in the thread. Anyone know the steps to take to transfer the applecare under my name? I do have a copy of the original receipt.

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Like I said earlier you don't have to do anything. That iPhone has AppleCare coverage and it doesn't matter who the owner is. You're covered. If anything happens you bring it to apple and they check the iPhone serial to verify that it's covered.

24. cadburys macrumors newbie

Thanks Mr. Mot, I will try phonebook sim to unlock my iphone.