Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

soni2926

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
Hi,
I have a Iphone 3G running on 3.1.2, I never upgraded to iOS4 reading all the issues with the 3G running on that. If I wanted to jailbreak my phone now using the jailbreakme website hack, would that push me to iOS4? Is there a way for me to jailbreak my phone and stay on 3.1.2?

Thanks.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Hi,
I have a Iphone 3G running on 3.1.2, I never upgraded to iOS4 reading all the issues with the 3G running on that. If I wanted to jailbreak my phone now using the jailbreakme website hack, would that push me to iOS4? Is there a way for me to jailbreak my phone and stay on 3.1.2?

Thanks.

Just run Redsn0w on your 3G the way it is. You will get an iboot jailbreak which is far better than a userland jailbreak. iClarified for a tutorial.

benflick

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
what does iboot mean? why is it better?

It's all about where the exploit in which they inject the unlock is. An iBoot exploit is what Redsn0w uses, while Spirit and the new Star use a userland exploit.
iBoot is deeper down within the phone, and can give the end user more jailbreak options (during jailbreaking, not afterwards). Userland is on the other side of things. The exploit is on the user part of the phone, outside of the kernel, hence the name. That is also why jailbreakme.com can jailbreak through Safari.
Redsn0w would be a better option, if you can use it.

moussekateer

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2009
You can get on the jailbreak train with redsn0w and since the exploit is at a lower level, you can do stuff like verbose boot and mod the start up picture.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.