Can I jailbreak my 4s?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by mLyhne, Jun 10, 2012.

1. mLyhne macrumors newbie

Hi!

When my iPhone had 5.0.1, I jailbroke it using absinth.
    When i updated it to 5.1 my jailbreak disappeared.

Is there any way I can jailbreak my iPhone again?
    As far as i could see, you cannot jailbreak a iOS device with A5 processor and 5.1. I hope one of you can prove me wrong!

2. mLyhne thread starter macrumors newbie

I heard something about having to plug the phone into the computer after every restart of the phone. Will i have to do this with this jailbreak?

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No.
    The 5.1.1 jb for the 4S is untethered.

4. mLyhne thread starter macrumors newbie

5. utahman130 macrumors 6502a

utahman130

Update to 5.1.1

How to jailbreak iOS 5.1.1 by utahman130

Step 1: Make sure you are on iOS 5.1.1. Download Absinthe v2.0.4 here.

Step 2: Connect your iPhone to your computer via USB. Open iTunes, right click your device and click "Back Up". After it is done backing up, quit iTunes. If you want the jailbreak process to go much, much, faster wipe your phone, but this is not required

Step 3: On your iPhone, go to Settings>General>Auto-Lock and set Auto-Lock to never. Go to the home screen of your iPhone and don't touch it.

Step 4: Launch Absinthe. Wait until it detects your phone. Push jailbreak (YOU DON'T HAVE TO GO INTO DFU MODE! :D) and wait. The iPhone will first look like it is syncing with iTunes, then recovering from a restore, and then reboot. You can follow along in the Absinthe window, which will tell you when it is done.

Step 5: Once Absinthe says "Done Jailbreaking", Cydia, the jailreak store, will have a icon on you phone (No Launcher :)). Open Cydia up and wait for it to "Install Filesystems". After it does, it will close itself. Reopen it and enjoy your jailbroken iPhone :)

******I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILY FOR ANYTHING THAT GOES WRONG. THIS IS NOT MY JAILBREAK, IT IS THE DEV TEAM'S******

PM me if you want help

6. frostbyte32 macrumors member

Ugh, you are tempting me! I told myself I wouldn't jailbreak because I had bad experiences with rooting my Droid, but this sounds fool proof.

If something were to go wrong you could always restore it right?

7. ccapman670 macrumors regular

Yep. WORST case scenario you restore. It's fool proof, no real reason not to do it!

8. frostbyte32 macrumors member

Is there wifi tethering on it? Best feature I miss from my rooted Droid.

9. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

There are tethering apps you can download from Cydia.

10. ccapman670 macrumors regular

Yes, main three are Mywi, TetherMe, and PDANet. They range from $4.99 (TetherMe) to $19.99 (MyWi).

11. frostbyte32 macrumors member

I may make the jump later today...just still cautious I would screw something up somehow...lol

I would love to have the freedom to customize it more

12. ccapman670 macrumors regular

I hesitated for a while because of the same fears but trust me you can't really mess it up. Take off your passcode, update to 5.1.1, back up on itunes and then install Absinthe. All you do is press a button that says jailbreak and it's as simple as that.

13. frostbyte32 macrumors member

How long does it take? I will be at my computer for a little bit later and hopefully will have time.

14. ccapman670 macrumors regular

Really depends. My friend told me it would take 5 minutes, mine took more like half an hour. I would wait till you have a few minutes. I've heard phones that were recently restored are much faster. Mine has tons of **** on it in terms of pictures, messages, contacts and apps so maybe that's why it took longer!

15. frostbyte32 macrumors member

I got my 4s to be JB...VERY VERY simple...my question though with the wifi tether is that my wife pays the $20 a month for the tether from verizon, but I thought I read that using some of the JB apps Verizon would get catch me and get rid of my unlimited data...is this true?

16. ccapman670 macrumors regular

Everyone wants to know that. It depends on how much you use it. If your data spikes and you're using it for your home wireless network and cutting your DSL etc then yeah. If you just use it every once in a while for your iPad then they shouldn't pay attention.