iPad Can I Jailbreak my 5.0.1 IPad?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by RDPRDP, Apr 23, 2013.

1. RDPRDP macrumors newbie

Date: April 2013

So, I have a FACTORY SHIPPED at 5.0.1 iPad and would like to JB to 5.1.1. I have tried everything that I can think of but always ends badly. I cannot seem to update to any iOS for a JB.

The closest I got was with Redsn0w, the latest version where I could use my SHSH BLOBS AND 5.0 iOS image to upgrade to 5.1.1 but because my unit factory shipped at 5.0.1 even Redsn0w won't work. Only option I could find was to go to 6.0 up to 6.2 but I needed 4.0 blobs for that but do not have them as my unit factory shipped at 5.0.1.

Am I out of luck?

all this because I bought a stupid 2nd gen digital tv adapter that wants 5.1.1.....

RDPRDP

2. Ratatapa macrumors 6502a

I see ipad and then ipad 2

Here is my point

1) if you got an ipad. Update it threw iTunes for 5.1.1 iirc it's the latest ios for ipad 1 then go to jailbrea.kr to see how to jailbreak it

2) if you got ipad2 at 5.0.1 you are IMO out of luck cuz it supports 6.1.3 so you cannot save blobs anymore for lower releases

3. RDPRDP thread starter macrumors newbie

My bad, it is an iPad 2.

Just to confirm, I have the blobs for the version of ios I want. I have blobs for:

5.0.1 5.1 5.1.1

I would like to go to 5.1.1. I am currently on 5.0.1

Thanks again.

4. Ratatapa macrumors 6502a

Then just run Tinyumbralla then upgrade to 5.1.1 then JB it

5. RDPRDP thread starter macrumors newbie

6. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

Have you searched what error 11 is? Are you sure TU is pointing to cydia rather than apple?

7. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

You cannot jailbreak the iPad 2, 3, or 4 if it is on iOS 6.1.3

If it's iOS 6.0-6.1.2, you can use evasi0n to jailbreak. If it's iOS 5.1.1, you can use absinthe v2.0.4

8. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

What iPad do you have? What version is it on?

9. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

10. RDPRDP thread starter macrumors newbie

To keep this thread on topic.....

To answer the question: have I tired all the instructions available. Answer: to my knowledge yes.

Expanding on that: i have tired the ways I indicated above using redsn0w and today also tried red0snow to stich my ipsw and it would not accept them as acceptable for stiching.

According to the Internet I 'should' be able to use tinyumbrella but I cannot due to iTunes error 11 and research tells me in that scenario that redsn0w is the answer, but it seems not.

P.s. editing hosts file is noted as no longer being a solution.

Thanks all
    ttyl

11. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

Update through TU are not available on 5.x firmware

Your host file must point to apple, not Cydia
    Tyoe in gs.apple.com on your pc/mac browser, it should take you to an apple placeholder page, if not change your host file manually

Use redsn0w 09.15b3

Download the 5.1.1 IPSW
    go to Extras/even more/restore/
    select the 5.1.1 IPSW
    follow instructions

select remote blobs if blobs on cydia
    select local if locally saved.

after that just jailbreak with redsn0w

12. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

What iOS firmware version is the iPad 2 on?

13. RDPRDP thread starter macrumors newbie

To TriJetHero:

This I have tried. Error message notes APTticket failure. Reason noted is that:

"It seems that the APTicket flashed on the device cannot be re-used for this hack."

"If the current firmware was installed via an OTA updated or at the facotry, its APTicket contains the wrong data for this to work".

As I noted in my first message this iPad2 came with 5.0.1 pre installed.

Thanks,
    RDPRDP

14. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

That's probably why the APTicket is invalid?

15. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

You know what. Who cares if it's a gift or you bought it yourself. Telling us that it comes with the standard iOS will NOT tell us what version it is. Buying today's iPad may come with 6.1.2 or 6.1.3 and that is a big difference of being able to JB or not. You know what. I really do not recommend you to JB cause you are not ready for it.

16. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

I never said you can't JB. I said I do not recommend you to do it cause you've obviously not read enough about it and you will probably come back crying for help after you messed up something.

Just curious why you want to JB if you don't even know how to use it. The standard iOS should be good enough for a newbie.

17. clockworkorange macrumors regular

Can I Jailbreak my 5.0.1 IPad?

The kid can't even figure out how to view his iOS version...

Probably wants to jailbreak to pirate apps :/

18. viperGTS macrumors 65816

There you have it. You cannot restore with those 5.0.1 blobs because your ipad came with the current 5.0.1 install you have from the factory. You're out of luck.

19. RDPRDP thread starter macrumors newbie

Just wanted to confirm that as of this moment the situation has not changed? Once again my issue is that my iPad 2 Wifi (original) is on 5.0.1 FACTORY SHIPPED. I tied latest redSn0w today and no change, and guess TU is next, unless there is a new tool. Would like to go to io6, not io7 due to interface and cpu hit.

RDP

20. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

You can jailbreak it using Absinthe 1.0.4 on 5.0.1

21. RDPRDP thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, the thread title is misleading. Let me restate:

I have an Ipad 2 WIFI (1st gen) model running 5.0.1 and it is already JB'd.

I would like to upgrade to any higher OS (5,6,etc..) that would have an unthehered JB available for that. I have blobs on Cydia for 5.x.x. and 6.1.3 (or .2?).

Problem as I sated before is that 5.0.1 on my system is the factory shipped OS. RedSn0w cannot change OS with these systems or with systems that did OTA upgrades.

So, not a JB issue, and OS issue.

Thanks

22. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

To answer your previous post, the rules that existed back when the re-restore tool was originally released have not changed and they never will. Sorry.

Just curious, why didn't you upgrade to iOS 6 when the jailbreaks were released?

23. RDPRDP thread starter macrumors newbie

I cannot really remember but I stayed on 5.0.1 JB for the longest time since it was working just perfect for me. By the time software was really forcing me to update to at least 5.1.0 the windows had already closed and it was just around the time of the Cydia 6.1.3 (I think...) SSH issues and no tethered 6.1.3 JB was available, and I just have hung out since then.

Guess I was happy where I was....

Now too much software wants at least 5.1 or 6+, or sometimes 7+. I should probably just upgrade now to at least have ONE update on the iPad so I can get away from this factory/OTA issue I have.

RDP