can i jailbreak when windows xp says my ipod touch is a camera

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by wngster, Jul 23, 2011.

1. wngster macrumors member

ok so i wanna jailbreak my ipod touch 4g 4.2.1 and i decide to try and back it up but when i plug my ipod in it says its a camera so i cant back it up but do you think i can still jailbreak it:confused:

2. supermac96 macrumors 6502a

supermac96

its regular for a computer to say an ipod is a camera because it can hold and depending on the gen, take photos. just open up your itunes when your ipod is plugged in and it should back up in itunes. if it doesn't than theres some problem, maybe go to itunes preferences and see if you made it so it doesn't automaticlly back up by a mistake?

3. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Is iTunes installed?

4. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

do you have iTunes?????????

Install iTunes first then come back to us

5. macking104 macrumors 6502

macking104

Be sure you are running windows XP service pack 3, or iTunes won't work...

6. jonrando macrumors 6502a

The fact that the computer is recognizing the device is enough. Windows is supposed to recognize it as a camera. It's iTunes that should be recognizing it as your iPod.

7. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

What do you mean enough? You need to restore the custom firmware using iTunes. And use iTunes to backup too.

BUT jailbreakme.com should work on 4.2.1

OP go to jailbreakme.com on your ipod touch. and do what it says. easiest way of jailbreaking without restoring or losing your info.

8. jonrando macrumors 6502a

What I mean by "enough" is that all that's needed to jailbreak is for the computer to recognize the device, nothing more and it obviously is as the OP states it's recognizing it as a camera, which is what it's supposed to do.

9. Tech Elementz macrumors 6502

The iPod Touch is only known as a camera if there is pictures currently on it.

10. wngster thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

ok srry guy wasnt on for a while itunes is installed but dosent pick up my ipod