Can I JB with the very latest 4.1 update?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by gregrose, Nov 16, 2010.

1. gregrose macrumors 6502

Hey all, just wondering if I can JB now with the up to date latest 4.1 update, or should I wait for 4.2 to JB? (version - 4.1 '8B117')

Thanks

2. jobless macrumors newbie

Up to you.

Jb 4.1 and mess around until 4.2 come out.

I just Jb my second Iphone4 since Apple delay the update...:rolleyes:

3. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

If you ever plan on unlocking, no--unless you use pwnage to update to 4.1.

4. gregrose thread starter macrumors 6502

Not unlocking just jb. I've thought I read you can't jb the latest 4,1 cause of the carrier file? Maybe I'm wrong

5. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

There's no jb for 4.2. Go to iclarified.com for instructions on jb your iphone. Read the instructions first.

6. labman macrumors 604

labman

I am with att so no need tp unlock but I still preserve my baseband because the device is worth more if it's unlockable. other then that's it's up to you 4.2 might come out tomorrow might be delayed a while who knows. but it will be a couple weeks after till it's worth jb to 4.2. your call your device ;)

7. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

Yes there is. I have an iPhone 4 running 4.2 GM which is jailbroken.

It's just the Cydia doesn't work which means no easy to get jailbroken apps installed.

8. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Well. he is technically right, there is not ('Official') 4.2 JB, since there is not ('Official') 4.2 firmware yet. There is a JB for 4.2b and 4.2GM.

(I was just bored, and wanted to make a PMS girlfriend type of reply)

9. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

Well, technically, he didn't say that. He simply said 4.2 :p

(Thought I'd give it a go as well. Who'd have thought it would be that easy to be a woman! :D)

10. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

I go with the idea that most people don't have access to the golden master. Also, cydia hasn't been updated to work with 4.2gm; since you can't use it, I say that it might as well be like not having a jb.
    Since the OP likely wants a usable jb, I wrote what was available. As a woman, I care about these distinctions. ;)

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

lmao:D

12. seadog84 macrumors newbie

I have a 3GS running 4.1 (8B117) with modem firmware 05.14.02.

I have managed to JB it but its seems impossible to unlock with the 05.14.02 baseband.

Will an unlock ever become available??

Or should i just wait for 4.2 and install that in the hope that the JB and unlock software is available sooner??

Its depressing owning an iphone thats only as good as an itouch!!

13. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

There is an unlock for 3GS on 4.1 ready but it won't be released until after Apple releases 4.2 firmware.

Why in the world if you need to unlock and can't on 4.1 would you even consider updating to 4.2. That just puts you farther away from an unlock.
    And, if you update to 4.2, you will lose your untethered jailbreak and be back to a tethered jailbreak until @comex finds another fix for 4.2 to be untethered.

If you don't know the difference between tethered/untethered jailbreak, fire up Google (half a million answers in 1/2 a second)

14. seadog84 macrumors newbie

Ahhhh thanks for the info, im new to the iphone and all this business of jail breaking and unlocking. so it seems if you choose to take the unlock option then you will always be stuck with the previous firmware version??

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes when your jb you always have to wait for a new jb tool for the new firmware version. That's how the game is played unless you want to restore to stock/locked firmware again.

16. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Not so. Applejuiced explained it. You just don't update until new tools are released.

17. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

Being jailbroken without Cydia is still being jailbroken. It just requires a bit more knowledge of how to install apps when it isn't wrapped up in a nice GUI.