Can I just buy the trackpad off ebay?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by amoda, Feb 27, 2008.

1. amoda macrumors 6502a

So here's my longwinded question:

It has been revealed that the multi-touch capabilities is hardware dependent. The new MacBook Pro's now have multi-touch, yet have the same size trackpad. So would it be possible to just buy the trackpad alone off Ebay, or wherever, and pop into my "old", yet AWESOME!, MBP? Or is the trackpad thingamabob something on the motherboard? In which case screw paying $1000 to buy a new one haha.

Cheers!

Edit: It seems that trackpad comes with the case. And looking at it, it seems to have it's own little "motherboard" sorta thing. So I'm thinking that if I buy just the top case it should work. Hmm...

Picture I'm looking at

2. dj420118 macrumors regular

Don't think that is going to be possible...and would you really want to go through all the work that would require...might as well just buy a new laptop then.

3. jshbckr macrumors 6502

I think you would have more to worry about than installation. I think you'd have a harder time actually finding a multi-touch track pad on ebay!

4. amoda thread starter macrumors 6502a

Would I go through all the work? Yes. I dabble with computer hardware anyways, this time it has a purpose other than entertainment. :) And well I would assume a trackpad wouldn't run for the $2000 I'd have to spend on a whole new laptop.

Well, that might be true but there are some "parts only" stores around and they sell current trackpads. I'm assuming it's just a matter of time before some poor soul ruins his latest and greatest MBP and sells it to some place of that sort that would sell it in pieces.

The only thing that really worries me, isn't the finding the piece or the installation, is wether it's actually do able. Like is it just the trackpad or is there something on the motherboard it self? I guess I'll just have to wait and see, it's probably too soon for people to know just yet.

Edit: Read edit in first post

5. Steve Jobs=God macrumors 6502

I'm interested as to why you would go to so much trouble and financial expense just to get a few second saving hand gestures?

Imo multi touch is a nice novelty to have if it comes already built into the machine, but it's definatly not something that soley warrants a hardware upgrade, be that a new machine or installing a new trackpad

6. amoda thread starter macrumors 6502a

Because I wish to do so? Replacing the top part of a case isn't really a hassle really, at least I don't see it as such. And financial expense? Well if it turns out that it's the motherboard, then I agree with you. $1000+ would be ludicrous to spend for something so simple. But if it's just the top case then it's like $70, at least that's what my friend paid for his when he scratched the heck out of hit top case. While I may be no millionaire, not even close!, $70 is hardly piggy bank breaking.

So lets see at the cost-benefit of this. Cost: Some time spent installing the case, and ~$70. Benefit: My happiness of both using the thing and the thrill of anticipation, installation and first time usage. Outcome: Benefit > cost.

Not to be argumentative or anything, but I'm not asking for your opinion on wether you think it's worth it. Seriously, I know that sounds harsh but I really don't mean it to be an accusatory thing. I just wish to know if, by your experience, you think it'd be possible to do and which parts would I need to replace. When I obtain the correct information I'll decide wether I think it's worth investing the time and money.

7. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

I have to agree the OP didn't ask if it is worth the trouble. The question is if it is possible.

8. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

i dont think the trackpad is different just that it is now controlled by the 'multi-touch' chip which (i assume) is connected to the motherboard (makes sense".