Can I just copy an application from one drive to another?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by twomiracles, Feb 29, 2008.

1. twomiracles macrumors regular

I did a full disk backup via SuperDuper and am wondering if for a few small apps I can just drag them back to my new install of Mac OS X from the backup or if I will need to go download and install them again? The big ones, like CS3 and MS Office I plan to reinstall from the disks, but I wondered if that was necessary for little things like Adium, Skitch, my SmugMug Uploader, etc...

Thanks!

2. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

You can just drag the little ones back. Those are self contained .apps that don't require an installer.

3. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Most apps can be moved back. Basically if you installed it the first time around by drag and drop you're set. If you used an installer drag and drop may still work. Usually you'll end up missing templates or system components, though.

4. karenflower macrumors 6502a

karenflower

Copying just the app is fine, but if you have data you also want to transfer (such as conversation logs for Adium) then you could also copy the relevant folders in User/Library/Application Support.

5. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

i ve been wondering abotu this as well, iw nat to do a clean install in my comp.... but i really do nto wnat to lose teh apps i purchae on macheist not too long ago...