Can I just move HD from MP to MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by roblin, Nov 5, 2009.

1. roblin macrumors regular

I have a 160gb SSD in my MP, want to move it to the MBP. Can I just move it, will OSX and W7 on it work automagically?

2. Av1o3 macrumors member

haha i think i'm going to start using that word. But yeah i'm pretty sure that it should still work as long as its the same size, which i'm pretty sure it is.

3. enVisionGTR macrumors newbie

Give it a try. I don't see what could go wrong with it. If there are problems, revert to the original setup. I doubt the data will become corrupt during transfer.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you have a dual GPU MBP, you may run into issues, trying to switch GPUs if you pull the HD from an older laptop to a newer one.

Other hardware related issues may also crop up. Personally, I'd reinstall OSX to be safe, but that's just me.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Err... don't the Mac Pros use 3.5" drives?? That's not going to fit in a MBP.

6. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

They're using an adapter to put a SSD in the Mac Pro.

7. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

It won't boot, i tried it. After speaking to the rather unknowlegable Apple support dude, he said my MB HDD would run fine. It didn't boot at all.

You will need to time machine backup the HDD, install it into the new MBP, reformat it, install the OS, and restore the information with time machine.

8. vitavo macrumors member

I moved my HDD from one MBP 13" to another MBP 13", both 2.26GHz version, and it didn't work too well. Took about 30 seconds sitting at the apple logo while booting. As for Windows, it freaked out and thought I wasn't use a "genuine" version of Windows. Ended up re-formatting.

9. Doju macrumors 68000

10. shoulin333 macrumors 6502a