can i just move my sim?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dwcasey, Oct 6, 2008.

1. dwcasey macrumors member

Looking at getting a used 3g iphone and wondering if my current ATT wireless sim will move over and allow me to make calls?

Not interested in ATT data plan at this point ( planning to use WiFi instead ).

Thanks.

2. Jayden0606 macrumors 6502

If you jailbreak it is possible, but AT&T has implemented a new screening system that will require you to add the data plan. Those using iPhones need to have the iPhone data plan. Although I hear a lot about those with the incorrect feature, I have not really come across someone who wasn't going to use it at all. I wouldn't do it though.

3. dwcasey thread starter macrumors member

So you're saying that I put my ATT Wireless SIM in a used, previously activated 3g iphone and it will not work at all?

4. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

No, what he's saying is that AT&T will add the data plan to your account automatically. It will work fine.

5. dwcasey thread starter macrumors member

Sorry to beat the further into the ground ATT will see that my SIM is now in an iPhone and 'switch' me to a data plan automatically?

6. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Yes.

7. dwcasey thread starter macrumors member

Interesting. Was this the case with the 2g iPhone?

8. l Shad0w l macrumors newbie

Yes you can do this, don't listen to anyone that hasn't had any personal experience. I've done this same exact thing, I bought a 3g with a friends upgrade then put my sim from my old crappy flip into the iphone and it worked perfectly.

9. dwcasey thread starter macrumors member

But now ATT has increased your plan to include 'iPhone data' ??

10. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

are u kidding this happens to allot of people. they will send you a text saying something like "you need to upgrade your plan" and then it does it

11. l Shad0w l macrumors newbie

Actually no they haven't I've been doing this for months now and i still have the same plan i had before, I even use my media net for 3g and it works just fine without any data overages just as if i never switched phones. The only thing i have to sacrifice is visual voice mail which is not worth the extra money for.

12. dwcasey thread starter macrumors member

Good to hear. Thanks!