Can I just play around with iPhone 4 without Sim inside?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lilcarp87, Oct 13, 2011.

1. lilcarp87 macrumors newbie

:eek: I have never used any Smart Phones before, so can I just use an unlocked iPhone 4 to watch Movie; surf Internet or do some apps without a calling network like AT&T ; T-Mobile by accessing my own wifi Internet?:confused:

2. NeverhadaPC macrumors 6502

NeverhadaPC

I don't think so (unless you have CDMA).

My uncle's GSM iPhone 4 was useless without an ACTIVATED SIM CARD inside. Hopefully that is changing since the iPhone is more than just a phone....

3. lilcarp87 thread starter macrumors newbie

EVEN if it's an unlocked ???

4. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

It is possible to buy a used phone, or pay out the ear to get an unlocked/unsubsidized phone. You might even be able to get it to work if you Jailbreak the phone, Unlock it, mess around to get YouTube and Push and what ever else breaks working again...

OR

Just buy a brand new iPod Touch. The camera is not quite as nice as the iPhone 4, but it's thinner, lighter, A LOT CHEAPER, and with Skype and other Apps, you can use it as a phone anywhere there is WiFi.

Get a $19 Walmart flip phone on a $8 / Month pre-paid plan and an iPod Touch.

Heck, you'll have enough money left over to buy 2 flip phones, and 2 iPod Touches. Get one for your Sister, she'll love you.

5. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

I recommend an iPod Touch, an iPod Touch sounds very suited for your needs. The iPod touch is essentially an iPhone without the phone part for half the price.

6. lilcarp87 thread starter macrumors newbie

@Kosak & macingman:

Thank for suggestion but my unlocked means really unlocked .. it sounds crazy but I meant the real one unlocked from Apple not use jailbreak.

7. mcfly2 macrumors member

If this helps, I passed down my old 3g to my kids, took the sim out, and they use it as an ipod touch, access the internet, watch movies, etc. No unlocking or jailbreaking required.

8. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

I never said anything about a jailbreak.

9. klamse25 macrumors 6502a

klamse25

You can use without a SIM card if the phone has been activated first.

I've done it a million times.

10. lilcarp87 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you!

But my real question is: Use iPhone 4 without SIM Card even in case that need to active, and I found the solution here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jg-dWwo8ewg

But I am not sure to do it if I buy a real unlocked from :apple:. What happens if I use JB to my real unlocked? :(

11. jgalan14 macrumors 6502

Mm I don't understand why would you buy an iPhone just to play with It and nothing will happen If you jailbreak , I havent jailbreak my new phone but I can tell you last time I jailbreak and iPhone 4 was tether jailbreak and if battery does you need to connect it to your computer to turn it back on :(

12. mkaen macrumors regular

Yes you can do this. It will be an iPod Touch basically. It's no problem.

13. lilcarp87 thread starter macrumors newbie

Because I want to play around first then I decide to select contract later.

Thank you so much!