Can I just throw AT&T's SIM Card away ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Marby, Jun 28, 2009.

1. Marby macrumors newbie

I'm living in the US but not sure until when. I bought an iPhone with 2 year contract. If i'm going to leave the US can i just throw AT&T's SIM card away or should i pay the early termination fee. Also, I'm not planning to use the SIM Card anymore when I leave or even if I came back. I'm afraid they are going to make me pay for all the month's i was not using the SIM Card. I prefer not to pay for the early termination fee. I mean will AT&T automatically cancel my account if i'm not using their service anymore??

2. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

They will continue you to bill you until you terminate the account. It does not matter if you use the phone or not.

3. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

IIRC, you signed a contract for 24 months. You're legally obligated to pay for AT&T's service for those 24 months, even if you dont use that SIM, unless you pay the early termination fee.

4. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

If you are moving out of the country and provide proof I would assume AT&T would let you out of contract if going somewhere they don't provide service?

I remember a few years ago when I use to use Sprint I had a friend move to another state in the US and service was bad in his area. Showed proof of where he lived after complaining about service and they let him go. I would try to go legit