Can I just walk in a buy one yet ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Darthzilla, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Darthzilla macrumors member

Seriously....Has the hype/nerdgasms died down at all..so i can just walk into an ATT or Apple Store and buy an iPhone ?

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Most certainly NOT an AT&T Store, but more likely an Apple Store will accommodate you...:cool:

3. JWages macrumors regular

No, the reason you can't just walk in and buy one is so its harder for people to unlock it and sell it for a profit.

4. a456 macrumors 6502a

a456

My local Carphone Warehouse (in UK) had a whiteboard outside advertising 8 + 16 GB iPhones in stock today. Had to apply willpower because I really don't need one.

5. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I didn't think there was hang-ups anymore. The Apple store I go to all the time has had them in stock since about a week after the release. Plus I haven't seen any lines yet. Maybe I'm just in an area where people don't care as much.

6. NiroshanMan macrumors 6502

Yea its possible, but not at all at a AT&T store but very likley at an apple store. Look at the apple site for the iPhone availability, its pretty correct.

7. DenniZ macrumors 6502a

most stores around me, UK liverpool, have stock no major demand no more though.

8. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

My Quite Small O2 store gets about 30 every saturday, all sold out on the saturday :p

9. pj rage macrumors 6502

In my area, all the apple stores have them in stock but the wait is still like 3 hours because a lot of people want them, it takes forever to activate and actually sell you one, and the apple stores don't have the entire staff dedicated to iphone sales like they did on launch. So, yeah, you can go to an apple store and buy one, but you may wait a bit.

10. AutomaticHaze macrumors regular

I got mine last Saterday, and i had to wait in line for about 2 hours. I went to the apple store and i got there at 11:30 am. I doubt it's calmed down, most at&t stores are still sold out.

11. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

All of the ATT stores have not received a second shipment since the first day. They are all being sent to customers via direct fulfillment. You can however get them at Apple stores.

12. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

he means can he walk in and have access to an iPhone...meaning can he walk in and purchase an iPhone, and sign up for a contract....not 'walk in and walk out with it' no1 can do that

13. thedeuce macrumors newbie

at an apple store no problem
    att store... no way jose

14. kdawg macrumors regular

kdawg

Not yet... at least in San Diego. I have a friend in frrom England. On Saturday we went to the Apple store (Fashion Valley) to look at imac accessories and they had a special line for people who wanted an iphone. There were about twenty people in the line and it did not move the 15 minutes we were there.

15. BlackMax macrumors 6502a

BlackMax

I've been calling the Raleigh Crabtree Valley Mall Apple store every couple days or so and each time I ask about the iPhone I'm told they do not have any iPhones in stock. Its August 6th, almost a month since launch, and they still don't have iPhones in the store by the middle of the day. I don't want to drive all the way into Raleigh if they don't have them.

It's been suggested I go at 7 or 7:30 AM and get in line, but that doesn't fit into my work schedule very well. So, I'll keep waiting until I can "just walk in and buy one" ;)

16. afterburn11 macrumors newbie

...that's exactly what I did last Thursday night, walk in and ask for an iPhone. Then again, I'm in Canada.

17. Darthzilla thread starter macrumors member

So

I probably should have been clearer.

Im upgrade eligible. Im already with ATT...but I don't want to have to wait on a line for 2-3-4 hours.

So...does anyone think its possible to walk into and Apple store and just buy and activate an iPhone without some ticket/waitline etc.

Im in NY if that matters...

18. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

Umm...in the afternoon? probably. Are you in NYC? or just somewhere in the state of NY? I bet in NYC you'd probably wait in the morning but you could probably just walk in later in the day. Rest of new york is probably any time just walk in and buy one by now. I was at the Apple store today to get a new case (recommend the Agent 18 clear shield but anyways) and this guy was buying 5 iPhones! I thought you had to have 5 people to do that but i guess not. This was at 4 in the afternoon but then again, its a suburb of detroit so yea.

19. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

There are still big lines at the 5th Avenue store for the iPhone.

20. laramie macrumors newbie

I walked into an AT&T store in Philadelphia the other day and walked out with a new 16GB black iPhone 3G. I am sure there are shortages at many AT&T stores, but I wouldn't say that it's not possible, as some of the other posters in this thread have suggested.

And for what it's worth, I can't remember the last time I was this satisfied with a purchase. The iPhone 3G is AWESOME.

21. SirOmega macrumors 6502a

Stood in line for 45 minutes on Saturday - they ran out of 16G tickets about 10 ppl in front of me. Stood in line for about 2.25 hrs on Sunday and got my 16G white.

22. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Walked up to the Emeryville (Bay Street) California Apple Store on Monday, August 4, '08, and stood in line behind 12 3G iPhone buyers and line was a 10 minute wait, and another 5 minutes in the store (since I'm already an AT&T Family Plan member, eligible for 3G iPhone upgrade), and then I hit the street after about 15 minutes total... :p

23. JWages macrumors regular

ahh makes much more sense now :D