Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vstephenson

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2007
win 7

@vstephenson Yeh, using it for school is an appeal, and if Windows 7 runs efficiently it'll be a deal maker.

Win7 is running great one week on...
all drivers resolved so skype with webcam and wifi working great
my 3G modem card also works great
MS Office for working on the odd document and connecting up to projectors in meetings

Replaced my Dell work issue laptop

Very happy with it as a little tool for work where I wouldnt want to leave my MBA lying around

jouster

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2002
Connecticut
Imo a netbook is a cell phone with a larger screen, it's slow, it's ugly and the quality is low.

However you get what you are paying for. There's no doubt that they have dominated the notebook sales, but I would never get one, especially if I had a MBA. That said, a 7-9 inch screen is waaaay to small for me.

Really? I'd say that there is substantial doubt that they have "dominated" notebook sales.

justit

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2007
If a netbook doesn't fit inside your pocket, it's pointless to own both an MBA and a netbook, you look like a dork doing both.

The VIAO P is really the only thing I would *maybe* consider since it tightly fits in a jacket breast pocket.

gamer2502

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2008
near Pittsburgh,pa
the only reason i could think of a advantage of a netbook over the air is that they cost less but i guess that dosen't matter because you already have a air or if you just want a tiny computer with a 7-10 inch screen:apple:

jimboutilier

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2008
Denver
It seems that they type of folks that found the MBA attractive also find Netbooks attractive.

Not a surprise. Most people got MBA's for the size and weight with the expectation that it would not be their only machine. The Netbooks offer similar functionality for the casual user at a considerable cost savings. The real difference is the MBA can be an all day, everyday machine for most while the netbook is much better suited to casual and occasional use.

That said, I like the Netbook concept. I have considered something well build, and running Linux myself. A friend of mine got one of the 10" Asus EEE PC's running XP (ick) and upgraded the Ram and HD and is increadably happy with is as a personal machine he travels with (he has to have a corporate laptop for work as well).

If I had to travel with a corporate laptop (I don't at the moment as I just created a virtual machine on my MBA from the corp laptop) and needed a second as a personal device I'd jump on one of the many excellent Netbooks out there.

As it is, I can get away with just my MBA and have trouble justifying the $500 or so I'd spend on a netbook with upgrades vs getting the next generation MBA.

GroovyLinuxGuy

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2006
Canada
I don't get this trend of calling netbooks toys. I have one and use it for writing/editing perl and python code ( I actually like the the keyboard on my Acer Aspire One), doing on-call SysAdmin work (logging in remotely from where every I am so I don't have to go into the datacentre, editing config files, restarting services on servers, etc). This was what I originally bought my MacBook Pro for , now it stays at home as my desktop replacement and the NetBook goes everywhere with me...

If that's a toy, I don't know what constitutes a "real" computer.

Halon X

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2005
Malibu, CA
Dell mini 9, huh. I'll admit I'm very tempted by those - but how easy is it to change the components, and is the atom processor not a huge limit?
:D

The Atom processor is very capable, I've been extremely impressed and have used my Mini as my only computer when traveling for 3 - 4 days at a time no problem. It also does very well attached to an external monitor with a bluetooth keyboard and mouse.

Swapping out the components is very simple. Everything is easily located under a hatch/cover/plate on the bottom of the laptop. 2 screws to remove the plate, 2 screws to remove the SSD or Wifi. The memory just pops out. I regularly swap between 2 SSD's on one of my mini's and it take maybe a minute.

Another nice thing about the Dell is that it's all solid state, there are no moving fans or other pars. It's completely silent and with no mechanical parts to break. The screen is excellent and the build quality very good. It's a very usable computer! Definitely not a toy!

If you do decide on the Mini, I'd recommend picking up a refurbished unit through the dell outlet. I picked one of mine up for just over $200 with a 20% off coupon that seems to run almost monthly.

Let me know if you have any more questions :)

Here's a good start for putting OSX on the Dell Mini

http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/howto-install-os-x-the-right-way-type11-boot132-v7-9-t1106.html

andrewp

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2008
Really? I'd say that there is substantial doubt that they have "dominated" notebook sales.

Well I know that there are many articles out there about the same thing. I find this one the most reliable for statistics: http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2008/12/netbook-sales-surge-in-economic-downturn-wheres-apple.ars

As for personal experience I worked in a laptop store as a sales manager last year and i witnessed the crackdown myself. Half a year ago people who wanted to buy a laptop for work/school had to get rid of at least 1k$ for the machine (denmark). Next to that we always sold insurance + office + external hardware so in the end it payed out well.

Then came the netbooks :) Suddenly people could pay half as much and everything seemed as though they could still use it for work/school. Another problem is that you can't sell too many things on top of that. It features a sleeve, myoffice, antivirus is unnecessary and insurances would cost as much as the machine...

So can you see how they blew most of the competition away, not to mention that we earned only 12% on these machines :)

cerealj

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2008
Regarding the netbooks, I was researching netbook news thoroughly yesterday instead of doing an assignment, and it seems like now might not be the best time to buy one. Intel is (finally) replacing the aged 945 chipset with a new one, GN40. No performance numbers have turned up but it's not bold to say that it'll be a lot better than the 945. The first GN40 netbook appears to be the Aspire One 103, a new 10" netbook that'll go on sale late february/early march, depending on who you ask.

Also, Nvidia showed off their Ion platform, which is basically a tiny motherboard that supports the Atom CPU. What's awesome about the Ion, though, is that it has an integrated 9400m graphics chip :D They showed off an Ion computer, which was basically just an Atom on the Ion platform with a 9400m, and it could decode high-def video (H.264) and play CoD4 at decent fps. Also, according to the Nvidia dude, power consumption is very similar to the current Atom platform.

However, there aren't any details as to when Ion netbooks will appear. It's speculated late Q2 or Q3, but who knows? They haven't even said who is designing Ion computers, but it's been hinted that Apple is using it for a new Mac Mini.

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
I'd take a Core 2 Duo over an Atom any day. That said, wouldn't the Air be a better machine?

Most netbooks are used for basics, email and browsing. An Atom 1.6Ghz is overkill for those activities. I'd only worry about not having a core duo if one is video or audio editing.

auggie2k

Cancelled
May 16, 2008
I got myself a Samsung NC10 and I love it to bits, gorgeous little machine and the battery lasts me well past 7 hours.

Was originally using Windows XP SP3, then dual booted with Leopard 10.5.6 (which was unfortuntely too tricky to get everything work e.g. USB, LAN, Wireless) and now I'm running Windows 7 as my main OS and it runs beautifully.

Spec is...

1.6 Ghz Intel Atom, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD, 256MB Shared Intel GFX, 802.11G WiFi, Webcam, Bluetooth, Mic, 3 x USB 2.0, SD Reader, VGA Out, 10.2" 1024 x 600 L.E.D Backlit Display...

Honestly feels like the list in endless.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
i have an msi wind with osx installed and while it was a fun little project, honestly i don't really use it too often. its pretty toylike and i already have a macbook. if you have an air, there's really no need for you to get one, unless you just have some extra cash on your hands.

Other way round with me. Since I put osx on my Wind, my Macbook gets little love. Particularly since it is still atrocious at dealing with flash video. Youtube still send the fans racing and the temperature rises to average 68ºC. No such drama on the Wind, where temperatures rarely hit 60ºC despite running the same software. Also, the screen is nicer on the Wind. Much brighter with better viewing angles.

Also, Nvidia showed off their Ion platform, which is basically a tiny motherboard that supports the Atom CPU. What's awesome about the Ion, though, is that it has an integrated 9400m graphics chip :D They showed off an Ion computer, which was basically just an Atom on the Ion platform with a 9400m, and it could decode high-def video (H.264) and play CoD4 at decent fps. Also, according to the Nvidia dude, power consumption is very similar to the current Atom platform.

However, there aren't any details as to when Ion netbooks will appear. It's speculated late Q2 or Q3, but who knows? They haven't even said who is designing Ion computers, but it's been hinted that Apple is using it for a new Mac Mini.

Yes, I saw that press release. However, I have also read that Intel refuses to sell the Atom for netbooks without the accompanying controller chip, which makes the Ion platform uneconomic for netbooks, although possibly not for mini pcs or media centres. Has Intel caved in on its former demands or is nVidia just grizzling?

NewGenAdam

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 29, 2008
The Atom processor is very capable, I've been extremely impressed and have used my Mini as my only computer when traveling for 3 - 4 days at a time no problem. It also does very well attached to an external monitor with a bluetooth keyboard and mouse.

Swapping out the components is very simple. Everything is easily located under a hatch/cover/plate on the bottom of the laptop. 2 screws to remove the plate, 2 screws to remove the SSD or Wifi. The memory just pops out. I regularly swap between 2 SSD's on one of my mini's and it take maybe a minute.

Another nice thing about the Dell is that it's all solid state, there are no moving fans or other pars. It's completely silent and with no mechanical parts to break. The screen is excellent and the build quality very good. It's a very usable computer! Definitely not a toy!

If you do decide on the Mini, I'd recommend picking up a refurbished unit through the dell outlet. I picked one of mine up for just over $200 with a 20% off coupon that seems to run almost monthly.

Let me know if you have any more questions :)

Here's a good start for putting OSX on the Dell Mini

http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/howto-install-os-x-the-right-way-type11-boot132-v7-9-t1106.html

You've told me exactly what I want to hear - OS X compatibility, easy upgrade path, good performance etc. But there's one thing: there are no function keys without using the fn button - how does this play with OS X's whole functions of brightness, play/pause, volume etc? Does this work?

Thanks.
And thanks to EVERYONE for such amazing feedback. Really, really informing :D !

Halon X

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2005
Malibu, CA
You've told me exactly what I want to hear - OS X compatibility, easy upgrade path, good performance etc. But there's one thing: there are no function keys without using the fn button - how does this play with OS X's whole functions of brightness, play/pause, volume etc? Does this work?

Thanks.
And thanks to EVERYONE for such amazing feedback. Really, really informing :D !

You do have to use a key shift combo with the Fn button however all the functions work as expected and the same as on the Mac.

MacFever

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2007
Imagine if Apple made a 10.5" macbook Air ??? same thinness etc.

that would be sick!!

cerealj

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2008
Yes, I saw that press release. However, I have also read that Intel refuses to sell the Atom for netbooks without the accompanying controller chip, which makes the Ion platform uneconomic for netbooks, although possibly not for mini pcs or media centres. Has Intel caved in on its former demands or is nVidia just grizzling?

I've read that too, which is a bit concerning. If true, it would indeed basically stop Ion from coming to netbooks, especially if the GN40 has half decent graphics.

Although I'm no expert on antitrust laws and such, it seems like Intel would quickly get lynched for trying to pull this stunt. Microsoft is still getting fined by the EU for the stupidest stuff regarding bundling IE with Windows. It's ridiculous. But if they're not even allowed to bundle an internet browser (which you can get for free) with their operating system, I don't see how Intel could get away with basically locking out Ion by bundling Atom and its chipset together. It's the same thing- using your dominance in one market to control another market.

Mind you, the justifications for the EU's fines have gotten so outrageous that I'm beginning to think they're just excuses to suck money out of Microsoft. :rolleyes: Apple is even worse than Microsoft when it comes to trying to control the software on their computers (Safari, iTunes, etc), and nobody seems to be giving Apple any problems.

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Sep 4, 2006
I think if you own a mba then the netbooks are a waste of money since the mba has the same purpose as the netbooks.

jbernie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2005
Denver, CO
I've read that too, which is a bit concerning. If true, it would indeed basically stop Ion from coming to netbooks, especially if the GN40 has half decent graphics.

Although I'm no expert on antitrust laws and such, it seems like Intel would quickly get lynched for trying to pull this stunt. Microsoft is still getting fined by the EU for the stupidest stuff regarding bundling IE with Windows. It's ridiculous. But if they're not even allowed to bundle an internet browser (which you can get for free) with their operating system, I don't see how Intel could get away with basically locking out Ion by bundling Atom and its chipset together. It's the same thing- using your dominance in one market to control another market.

Mind you, the justifications for the EU's fines have gotten so outrageous that I'm beginning to think they're just excuses to suck money out of Microsoft. :rolleyes: Apple is even worse than Microsoft when it comes to trying to control the software on their computers (Safari, iTunes, etc), and nobody seems to be giving Apple any problems.

Intel could say that for best experience you need the chip & controller together, apparently it works well for Apple with their hardware/software combinations. :rolleyes:

As to the EU and their fines, not sure what to think, many of the included apps in Windows are just enough to get by, barely, and there are plenty of much better applications available. IE is one of the exceptions but you only need to start it once to go get Safari, Opera, Firefox etc for free.

tubbymac

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2008
However, I have also read that Intel refuses to sell the Atom for netbooks without the accompanying controller chip, which makes the Ion platform uneconomic for netbooks

I was in Staples yesterday trying to justify my Air purchase and ran across some Asus netbook with a Nvidia 9300 graphics card. It was a 10 inch netbook and I think the model was N10 or something like that. The thing was $700 and ugly as sin. Dunno if it was using the Ion platform or not but it does prove that there are Atom + Nvidia machines out in the wild already.

cerealj

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2008
Yeah that's the Asus N10. It's not an Ion, it's just a regular 945GSM chipset :( but the 9300 is indeed much better than the GMA 950 that usually goes with the 945GSM.

edit: oh also, the N10 has a switch that switches from integrated graphics to the 9300, which is kinda nice. I bet the 9300 sucks up battery life.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
That Asus model is well known now. Some of that $700 is thanks to Intel. We'll just have to wait and see how Via's chip combination is going to do, if it ever gets the Nano out the door. That might spur Intel into price cutting action.

RealEvil

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2007
I bought a NC10 (White) and use OSX 10.5.6 only (I still have XP but never use it). I bought the Apple USB-Lan adaptor, replaced the wireless card with a Dell 1505 and just used a few AppleScripts to get it 99% working. Its one of the best macs I have ever owned. 6 hours battery life, EVERYTHING works apart from 1 or 2 annoyances (after a sleep the brightness will drop and it wont always return without a reboot). Stunning machine and it cost me (including all parts) £350. This includes the NC10, 2GB RAM, Wireless Card.

PS I have a iMac and a Unibody MBP too, but the NC10 is not 'significantly' worse. It actually has better battery life than the MBP (by a factor of 2). I dont understand why Apple dont think hard about making a Ion netbook. This Atom machine runs OSX great.

I got myself a Samsung NC10 and I love it to bits, gorgeous little machine and the battery lasts me well past 7 hours.

Was originally using Windows XP SP3, then dual booted with Leopard 10.5.6 (which was unfortuntely too tricky to get everything work e.g. USB, LAN, Wireless) and now I'm running Windows 7 as my main OS and it runs beautifully.

Spec is...

1.6 Ghz Intel Atom, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD, 256MB Shared Intel GFX, 802.11G WiFi, Webcam, Bluetooth, Mic, 3 x USB 2.0, SD Reader, VGA Out, 10.2" 1024 x 600 L.E.D Backlit Display...

Honestly feels like the list in endless.

manhattanboy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2007
In ur GF's bed, Oh no he didn't!
I love the idea of netbooks.
Uber-small, portable and usable.
But as I have an MBA, can I justify buying one - I mean, how much more would a netbook offer me than my Air??

Persuade me !! :D

Dude, its the opposite... how much MORE would an Air offer compared to a netbook.
Thae answers are:
OS X
OS X
OS X

That's it. I would have TOTALLY gone for a netbook had it not been for all of them come with either windoze or linux.
Linux is not bad but is extremely unuser-friendly to trouble shoot.
Yea, the Air is pretty, etc. but there are SMALLER and FASTER windows machines that are CHEAPER.

If you have the money though........... the air is as its name implies, heavenly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.