Can I keep a time machine back up from being deleted once drive is full?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by tl01, Sep 18, 2015.

1. tl01 macrumors 65816

I have backed up my old computer and am going to wipe the drive and put Yosemite on it. I want to keep the current time machine back up. I just started this drive yesterday so it is still pretty empty. Can I keep that back up or will it be deleted eventually? I don't want to repartition the drive again if I can avoid it.

2. chabig macrumors 68040

You might be better off just keeping a clone of that system, rather than a Time Machine backup. Save the clone. Then start fresh with Yosemite. Keep the cloned system around for as long as you think you need it.

3. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

Time Machine won't delete the original backup. While a clone is a good idea, too, long-term, the clone will be left behind by history. When a Time Machine drive begins to run low on space, it "thins" the backups - Daily backups will be deleted, leaving you with Weekly backups, and in extreme cases, Weeklies will be deleted in favor of Monthlies. But there should always be a Monthly that dates back to the first month of backups.

4. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

Unless you have reservations about upgrading to El Capitan, I suggest you may want to hold off with the fresh install until it releases at the end of September.

5. tl01 thread starter macrumors 65816

I used to use CCC to make clones.... But haven't done that since having time machine.

Is there an easy way?

I was sort of hoping to keep using thre current back up drive for time machine. Trying to keep things simple!

6. tuxon86 macrumors 65816

Mmmm... Unplug and store the time machine hard disk somewhere safe and use another one for your everyday stuff. USB drives are quite cheap now.

7. tl01 thread starter macrumors 65816

I presume... But I just ordered a new phone, am writing the last check for my back yard and have been buying a lot of stuff to get my computers where they need to be like two new hard drives already this week...and I have to write a check to Att to pay off my 6... So I sort of want to use what I have.