Can I keep an unlimited iPad....

Discussion in 'iPad' started by blackberrypilot, Jan 15, 2011.

1. blackberrypilot macrumors 6502

I have an iPad with unlimited grandfathered sim. I want to sell my iPad before the value begins to go down and I can sell it for close to retail right now.

I want to keep my SIM and purchase an iPad 2 when it comes. Is there a way to keep my SIM active without having the iPad? I don't mind paying the $30/month until the next iPad comes.

2. gdjsnyder, Jan 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2011

gdjsnyder macrumors 6502a

gdjsnyder

Yes. Just don't deactivate the service. You will have to pay while not having an iPad. But as long as you don't cancel the $30 plan, it will remain active, wether it's in an iPad or not.

3. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

You need only to maintain your account while waiting for your new iPad.

4. blackberrypilot thread starter macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

By maintaining it you mean keep credit card active right? So as long as I dont press cancel I'm good to go?

5. Higgs1 macrumors 6502

Higgs1

you should be fine as long as it keeps going, however, make sure you let the buyer know that it is not coming with the sim card, so they don't get upset when they receive it and theres nothing in it

6. blackberrypilot thread starter macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Will do thanks

7. suresh31 macrumors regular

This is exactly what I did with my iPad. My SIM is sitting in my vallet, coughing $30/month.

8. iSheahan macrumors member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you can go to an AT&T store (assuming you're in the US) and ask them to put a SIM card in it for you - there may be a charge for it, then again, there may not be. I would suggest removing your SIM card at home and storing it safely before going to the store, just to make sure there's no mix up. Go in and ask them to put a new SIM in and that you plan on activating the service at a later time.

I've gotten a replacement SIM for my iPhone in the past, but don't remember all the details appertaining to the circumstances. But I don't remember being charged for it.

I suggest this only because whomever you sell the iPad to will find more value in your device having a SIM and being ready to activate immediately. If it were down to two iPads for me, one person selling WITH a SIM and another WITHOUT the SIM, guess who I'd buy from - or in the least, offer considerably less for the SIMless device because it's putting me out to go get one.

Just my two cents.