Can I keep iDVD w/ Yosemite update

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by vjaaan, Feb 24, 2015.

1. vjaaan macrumors 6502

If I update my MacBook Pro (running Mt. Lion) to Yosemite, can I still use the iDVD that I have on the machine? And, are there any programs that I can expect to not run anymore after the update?

Also, I just updated my iPad Air to 8.1.3 and now I can use iMessage with non-Apple people for texting, like I do on my iPhone 6. I am not able to do that on my MacBook Pro. Does that become possible after I update to Yosemite?

I have been putting it off, not sure of the benefits and worried about new glitches.

Thanks.

2. Beavix macrumors 6502a

Beavix

Yeah, you will be able to send SMS messages from your computer, through your iPhone.

3. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

I am able to run iWeb on my Yosemite install so you might be able to run iDVD. Make sure to save off the app before you do the upgrade.

4. KALLT macrumors 601

iDVD does still work, but it’s not as neatly integrated in the system anymore, particularly iMovie. You may have to take some extra steps to get your films into iDVD.

5. PinkyMacGodess, Mar 7, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2015

PinkyMacGodess macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

So, what replaces iDVD on the 'free scale' of payment? I just want to write a video file to a DVD that will play in a standard DVD player... I don't want to have to go get Roxio, or some other expensive software just to write a DVD.

I just tried Burn, and it crashed and burned. Not working well, but then it seems to be a little 'long in the tooth'...

6. chabig macrumors 68040

By "write a DVD", do you mean you want to burn a disc that can be played on a DVD machine, or do you mean you want to be able to burn data to DVDs? iDVD does the first. The operating system still does the second.

7. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

Sorry, write a DVD, meaning something that will play in a DVD player.