Can I leave the power cord plugged into the wall?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MrMinor, Nov 1, 2008.

1. MrMinor macrumors 6502

I just switched over from PC to Mac and am loving it. With my PC laptop, I could not just leave the power brick plugged into the wall. Dell said they were not designed to be plugged in all the time. I had a number of them burn out before I found that out. Is Mac the same way? Should I be unplugging the power brick from the wall when not in use or can I just leave it plugged in all the time?

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Mine's plugged in 24/7 and I've never had a problem.

3. MrMinor thread starter macrumors 6502

Good to know. Thanks for such a quick reply!

How long have you had it plugged in?

4. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

You won't hurt the laptop by keeping it plugged in, but heat is a battery's worst enemy. If you're going to be plugged in for weeks on end, it's not a bad idea to put the battery in the refrigerator while it's drained to 40% capacity. Doing so will greatly increase the life of your battery.

5. blurfonz macrumors regular

I did not know by putting the battery in the refrigerator is good. Really?

Cheers

6. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

you can freeze just about anything.

7. emt1 macrumors 65816

Putting it in the refrigerator is not necessary.

http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html

8. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

i've heard it all now.

9. MrMinor thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the info, but my question is about the power brick, not the computer or battery. Will keeping the brick plugged in burn it out? The outlet I have it plugged into is behind a sofa so I would rather just plug it in and leave it if possible. I plan on plugging and unplugging it from the computer fairly regularly, but I don't want to unplug it from the wall if I don't have to.

10. nitewolfgtr macrumors regular

nitewolfgtr

Hmm... i think the Dell technician that told you that was probably smoking crack cuz if that was true, there will be a whole alot of businesses going to those power bricks. At my last job, everyone had the Dell docking station with the Dell power brick plugged in 24/7. That's roughly 30,000 employees. It just sounds retarded to design a power brick to able to handle being plugged in for 24/7 when it is required for the Dell docking station...

Just letting you know not all Dell technicians are bright...

11. MrMinor thread starter macrumors 6502

I could not agree more about the Dell techs not always being the brightest and I here ya about it not really making sense. I use a docking station at work and my bring is plugged in 24/7 with no problems. That being said, at home I have gone through about 6 or 7 (I lost count) bricks until I started unplugging it when not in use. Since I started doing that at the Dell Techs insistence I have not had a problem.

Well at least it sounds like it will not be a problem with my Mac. That makes me very happy. Thank you all for your input.

12. MBPDiva macrumors regular

Me too. I've kept it plugged in 24/7 and never considered the heat or anything. I mean plugged into the wall 24/7, not the machine. :)

13. fikkser macrumors member

I heard from a fireman that the rate of fires caused by chargers are very high. He would never leave a charger plugged in when he wasn't there. But maybe that's not an issue outside of Sweden. Hehe.

14. gonyr macrumors 6502

Mine's been plugged in for years - never a problem.

15. brentsg macrumors 68040

It's best to get it down to about 40%, then go to Sam's Club or some local store that will let you sit in one of their freezers while you use the laptop and let it drain the battery down to zero.

16. MPHL macrumors regular

MPHL

If your going to leave it plugged in 24/7 then remove the battery from the computer while its plugged in, you will preserve your battery health a lot longer.

17. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

OK, for those of you who have never heard of putting your battery in the fridge (not the freezer by the way):

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm

That ought to explain it better than I can.

My laptop stays on my desk with a whole bunch of stuff plugged into it except when I travel. Since that means two or more consecutive months of AC power, I keep my battery in the refrigerator. Why needlessly ruin the battery if you can avoid it? I didn't do that with my last laptop, and the battery was nearly useless after 18 months or so. By the way, I have all the cables arranged so that there's no way my MagSafe plug will get tugged on and come out.

As for the power brick...I leave lots of power bricks plugged in all the time. That's not something I would worry about.

18. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

and you'll cut your cpu usage down to one core if using a dual core cpu. you'll also lose all of your work if you hit the magsafe by accident. not very wise practice. i'll just follow apples recommendations on battery usage.

19. emt1 macrumors 65816

do you have any proof of this?

20. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

Why is everyone worried about a $100 laptop battery? If it lasts 3 years that is great! YOU probably spend more than $100/month on gas.

21. edrixc macrumors newbie

Don't forget to discharge it completely and charge it once a month. this prolongs battery life. :)

enjoy

-edrix

22. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

yes where are you getting that info from, im not saying you are lieing im just really wondering.... i ve never of anything like that

23. The Flashing Fi macrumors 6502a

What's your point. My laptop doesn't run off of gas.

That's like saying, why is everyone worried about paying 3 dollars a gallon for gas when you pay more for a gallon of milk.

24. natebookpro macrumors 6502a

I just ran xbench w/ battery and got 111 and w/o got 79. I have heard about this though. Here is another thread about it, no proof, but still....

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=273551

25. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

plenty of discussions on it. do a search on this forum.