Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kgflybynyte

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 4, 2014
quite a while back (when i first got my macbook pro-spring 2014), i tried to listen to tune-in radio while surfing safari. when i would click on a website i wanted to browse, tune-in radio would just stop. i just kind of blew it off and let it go. very recently, i tried again and got the same results. just thought i would ask, is it possible to listen to internet radio while surfing safari?

a7thton

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2015
USA
An obvious question: was Tune-in streaming in a separate tab? You didn't close the tab, right?

a7thton

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2015
USA
So, I just tried this for myself. I'm using the current version of Safari on the current version of OS X on a 2015 MBP.

I opened Tune In and started a station, then opened a few other tabs and browsed various sites.

The audio kept playing, but it was glitchy....so there is * something * going on....but it should still play.

Last edited:

kgflybynyte

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 4, 2014
An obvious question: was Tune-in streaming in a separate tab? You didn't close the tab, right?

you will have to pardon me, i am a middle-aged guy with my second computer. so, needless to say, i am no computer whiz. i started out with my sister's old windows pc a couple years ago, and, really enjoyed it. always had an "infatuation" with apple, so, saved up and bought myself a macbook pro. well, i didn't think i was closing the tab. i went to TuneIn Radio, found my network i wanted, then, just went clicked on a website from the column on the left side of screen---TuneIn Radio then quit broadcasting.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
you will have to pardon me, i am a middle-aged guy with my second computer. so, needless to say, i am no computer whiz. i started out with my sister's old windows pc a couple years ago, and, really enjoyed it. always had an "infatuation" with apple, so, saved up and bought myself a macbook pro. well, i didn't think i was closing the tab. i went to TuneIn Radio, found my network i wanted, then, just went clicked on a website from the column on the left side of screen---TuneIn Radio then quit broadcasting.
That'd be because you stopped it. By clicking a link on the left you went to another page, which is not broadcasting audio.

Here's a bad analogy: What you did is akin to entering say, a clothing store and hearing music. You then decide to head out of the store into another one and expecting to still be listening to the music of the first store. You're no longer physically in the same place, you can't expect to hear the same stuff.

Use cmd+click on the link, or right click the link and choose open in a new tab, and the audio will keep going. You'll have both the page that is providing the audio left open, and the page you want to browse, at once. That's the only way.

You can browse multiple websites that way, by having a single safari window open with multiple tabs.

Last edited:
Reactions: a7thton

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

No reason why you can't listen to streaming radio while doing other things.

If you're using iTunes, just hide the iTunes app to avoid hitting the stop or other button by mistake.

If you're listening via Safari or another browser, open the page that has the music player in its own window. Start the music and move the entire window "aside" (to a corner, perhaps) so you don't accidentally close it or click on it in a way that would stop the music.

Works for me..

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
well, i didn't think i was closing the tab. i went to TuneIn Radio, found my network i wanted, then, just went clicked on a website from the column on the left side of screen---TuneIn Radio then quit broadcasting.

When you clicked on the website on the left side of the screen, that navigated away from the TuneIn Radio website. If you want to continue listening, open the TuneIn Radio site in another window or tab as others have suggested.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.