can i lock the screen with one button ?

stuartrozier

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 12, 2011
Hello, I'm simply wanting to use 'one' key to lock my mac, not a series of 3,

is there a way to customise one of the 'F' keys to do this ?

Many thanks,

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2013
Hello, I'm simply wanting to use 'one' key to lock my mac, not a series of 3,

is there a way to customise one of the 'F' keys to do this ?

Many thanks,
Customisable F keys is something I miss so much now I no longer use PCs, but I think I'm right in saying you can't do this on a Mac.

The only way I found to quickly lock a Mac is to enable hot corners, (see system preferences), but it quickly gets annoying as you inevitably lock your Mac accidentally every two minutes. I disabled it soon after.

stuartrozier

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 12, 2011
Customisable F keys is something I miss so much now I no longer use PCs, but I think I'm right in saying you can't do this on a Mac.

The only way I found to quickly lock a Mac is to enable hot corners, (see system preferences), but it quickly gets annoying as you inevitably lock your Mac accidentally every two minutes. I disabled it soon after.
thanks for quick reply, your example is exactly the reason i want a button,

hot corners is too easily activated, i would just like to hit a button, and walk away knowing its locked safe an secure, hmmm,

maybe a third party app ?

is their a way of creating custom shortcuts for the keyboard ?

Last edited:

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
vertical
See the Apple discussion here:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3081180?tstart=0

In particular, see post #3, the first one by Seph.

Summary:
1. Ctrl-shift-eject sleeps the display, which requires a password to wake, if enabled in System Preferences > Security.
2. Make a service in Automator, then attach a shortcut key to it (process described in Seph's post).

Found using google search terms: mac screensaver service

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
Hello, I'm simply wanting to use 'one' key to lock my ma
It is not a 'button', but if you put Keychain Status in your menu bar (Keychain Access, Preferences, "Show Keychain Status in menu bar"), you can lock the screen with a click (or two).

A.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.