can i make a bootable usb harddrive with win 7 installation?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ceasetoexist, Sep 30, 2009.

1. ceasetoexist macrumors member

i want to install windows 7 on a partition on my macbook pro, but would also want to do it from my usb hard disk. is it possible to format the disk in leopard, so i can boot from it? i know how to do it in windows and BIOS, but have no clue how to in osx.

2. bry223 macrumors regular

Yep, it's quite easy on a mac. It can all be done from disk utility, I believe its under restore, and you can choose the .iso file and it will mount it on the USB drive.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No I don't believe it will work

Windows does not support booting up from a usb thumb drive. I've read of people have done that, but only be hacking the kernel and such. I'm not sure if anyone has done this to the install disk.

4. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Windows can be installed and booted from a flash drive. It is a bit more flexible than the Mac OS because you can shrink a Windows installation to much smaller sizes (with the help of nLite), but at the same time only recent PC's can boot from USB, and then sometimes only if their BIOs are updated.

You can try following this guide for XP http://www.cnet.com.au/boot-windows-xp-from-a-usb-flash-drive_p2-339271777.htm as it may be similar to Win7, but I have no idea.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone has already done this, although I doubt that someone would be here. Check out Google for anyone who has done or tried a Win7 installation to a USB drive. Since an Intel Mac can boot up to a Windows disk by itself (BootCamp is just a partitioning tool, you can insert a Windows disk and hold down the C key to boot up to it), and can boot up to USB devices, I don't imagine it to be much of a stretch to boot up to a Windows USB device.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The issue is the OP wants the install disk on the flash drive, I don't beleive that's too feasible.

6. ceasetoexist thread starter macrumors member

i imagine one should format the harddrive/partition in disk utility and use restore option and point to iso of windows installation. i was only wondering if macintosh computers boot screen would recognize this drive as bootable. on a regular PC you can set any device as bootable from BIOS (such as usb disk, cd or even more esotheric devices from today's perspective).

7. CoryBoyUSA macrumors member

I don't think the OP was even talking about a flash drive. He or she said "USB hard drive" so I'm pretty sure he/she meant an HD that connects via USB.

8. ceasetoexist thread starter macrumors member

ok, i am using disk utility to restore an iso image of windows 7 to usb hard, fat32 MBR partitioned drive and i am getting this message:

Could not validate source - error 254

is there a workaround?