Can I make a Mozy backup of my Time Machine backup?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bollweevil, Sep 11, 2009.

1. bollweevil macrumors 6502

Short Question:
    I know that MozyHome Unlimited will make a backup of my external hard disk. If that external hard disk happens to contain a Time Machine instance with a year of backups on it, will Mozy back that up nicely? If my laptop and my external hard disk get destroyed by a fire, can I restore Time Machine itself from Mozy to a new external hard disk, and then restore from Time Machine on that external hard disk to a new MacBook Pro?

Possible problems:
    1. Mozy might not copy the Time Machine data.
    2. Mozy uses differential backups, Time Machine might confuse it causing it to try to update every block every hour, because it thinks 250 GB have changed even though only 1 MB has actually changed.
    3. Apple Time Machine, the application, might not recognize this file as a Time Machine backup file, even though it is and it came straight from the Mozy repository.

Background:
    I have OS X 10.5 on a MacBook Pro. It has a "250" (232) GB drive containing 229 GB of data (3.5 GB unused). I have an external 1 TB drive containing Time Machine backups going back a full year, and that year's worth of backups (including monthly versions of every file and files I deleted 11 months ago) is like 270 GB.
    I so desperately want somebody to store that 270 GB Time Machine backup off-site, so that if I lose both the Time Machine drive and the laptop, I can still restore EVERYTHING, not just the stuff on the laptop when it burned, but also the stuff that I deleted 11 months before the laptop burned, but that I did make a Time Machine backup of.

Should I be using something other than Mozy?

Thanks.

2. Brammy macrumors 65816

I wouldn't do it the way you want. You're going to be pulling down a 250g restore from Mozy. No matter how you slice it, you're going to want to use their "have an external disk" sent to you option for massive data. I don't know that it would be recognizable by OS X as a time machine disk

I use Mozy in conjunction with Time machine. I'm not so worried about it backing up my apps (although that folder may well get added to the restore mix). Moxy backs up my home folder with some intelligence (It skips entourage databases and Parallels VMS).

For apps, you might consider making DMGs of install media and storing them on an FTP site.