Can I make a previous version of Pages the default one?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Diaspar, Jul 18, 2014.

1. Diaspar macrumors newbie

Diaspar

I recently installed Mavericks on my 2011-era iMac and hated the new Pages (5.2) so much I've gone back to using the previous version (4.3). The problem is, when I open a Pages file (even one I haven't "upgraded"), Pages 5.2 is the one that opens. I've put Pages 4.3 in my dock and I can open it directly and navigate to a file, but I'd rather just be able to click the files on my desktop like I've always done and have them open in the version of Pages I want.

How do I make the version I want the default one? Barring that, is it safe to just delete the new version? Can I re-install it from the App Store if/when I decide I want it?

2. zedsdead macrumors 68040

Only way is to delete the new version.

Sadly the "Always Open With" Command does not work for whatever reason with iWork files.

3. CrickettGrrrl macrumors 6502a

CrickettGrrrl

Yes, that is what I did also. However, be prepared to be annoyed by Mac App Store update notices for the new Pages, etc. I haven't found a way to prevent them unfortunately, but it's a small price to pay to be able to use the better version of Pages.

4. Diaspar thread starter macrumors newbie

Diaspar

5. CrickettGrrrl macrumors 6502a

CrickettGrrrl

6. Diaspar thread starter macrumors newbie

Diaspar

I already deleted the new versions but if the nagging gets too much I'll download them again and try this. :D

7. CrickettGrrrl macrumors 6502a

CrickettGrrrl

I just finished doing this and it works, I tested '09 Pages, checked MAS Updates and there are zero apps to be updated, yay! Really glad that DeltaMac posted a link to this work around. :cool:

8. Diaspar thread starter macrumors newbie

Diaspar

My system started nagging me this morning so I gave that work-around a try. Updated Pages and Numbers, then shoved the new versions onto the external HD that hosts my Time Machine backups. Then I copied '09 Pages and Numbers back into the main Applications folder. At first both documents and spreadsheets were trying to open in Preview but after a couple of restarts it started doing what I wanted.

Thanks so much for that clever trick, DeltaMac! :p

9. Partron22 macrumors 68020

Partron22

10. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac