Can I make it 3 months with ONLY an iPod Touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by 2A Batterie, Apr 28, 2008.

1. 2A Batterie macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

I'm about to go to Europe to work on a cruise ship for 3 months as a musician. I may be able to purchase a laptop, but it would leave me broke for quite some time. Also, I can't afford the model I'd like. My question is, does anyone think I can get by just using an iPod touch? Internet access on a cruise ship is rather pricey, so I figured that I would type up my emails on the iPod Touch and then mail them out while in port when I could find a Wi-Fi hotspot. I'm not that familiar with the iPod touch and was wondering if it's possible to type an email and then save it to send later. Also, what's surfing like on the iPod Touch? Does anyone think that it is unrealistic to rely on the iPod Touch as my only means of communicating to the outside world for 3 months?

2. larock macrumors member

Could you? Well yeah, just like you could get by without one altogether too.

Yes, you can compose an email and when it can't be sent, because of no wifi connection, it will be placed in an Outbox. For me, I don't find typing on a Touch really easy (I've got fat fingers), so my emails from it are as short as possible. Also, for me, when traveling I like to be able to send pictures to show family and friends what I'm up to, the Touch can't do this (not without a computer to sync pictures from).

Again, for me, I would find a notebook in my price range, you should be able to find one comparable in cost to the Touch. For traveling I like the Asus eee pc. Small, light and cheap.

3. aethelbert macrumors 601

For a week? Maybe. For three months? No.

You'll get a better browsing experience and more robust options with a notebook. You wouldn't have to spend too much, either. Almost any laptop that you get from the last five years will be better for communication while also being signifigantly more comfortable. Assuming that you're a mac person, you could probably find a mid-late G4 iBook for about $400. Personally, I can't stand typing a full email on my iPhone, so I would try to stay away from that. A full size keyboard will serve you much better over the course of three months.

Also, on a cruise ship, there can be a lot of theft. Having the latest and greatest shiny toy is going to draw a lot more attention to yourself than a laptop from a few years ago that would be left in your room.

4. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Erendiox

I would say it depends on your usage. If you're a heavy internet user and you like to surf alot, the iPod Touch may become slightly frusterating to use for extended periods of time. I'm talking about if you like to surf for hours on end like many people do. Safari is really great on the touch otherwise. I personally own an iBook G4 and an iPod Touch and I end up traveling around the city alot and barely use my iBook, instead using the touch to keep up on emails and sites that I frequent. I often write emails offline to be sent the next time I find a hotspot and I find the keyboard very easy to use. It takes a little bit of adjustment, but once I got the hang of it, I was typing large emails and notes without breaking a sweat. Again, this is my personal experience and other people, like the posters above me, don't find the keyboard as easy to use as I do. I'd recommend, if you can, getting to an apple store and giving it a try for yourself. You'll probably get a better perspective on whether or not it will work for you. I know if I was in your situation, I don't think i'd have any problem taking only my iPod Touch with me.

5. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Not so at all. Many people can get by with just an iPod, infact I'd bet that most people with computers don't need a computer at all.

To the OP: If you do not intend to purchase an iPod touch once it is more financially feasible I second the recommendation of getting a cheap G4 laptop.

6. Resist macrumors 68030

People really used to have a life before computers, email and the Internet. You will be fine without any technology, even an iPod Touch.

7. mosx macrumors 65816

I think you'd be better off with a cheap notebook PC. The iPod touch is a great device. But I can't imagine relying solely on it for 3 months. The small screen would drive me crazy.

With a cheap notebook PC you can get a full size keyboard, DVD drive to watch your movies, nice big 15.4" screen, etc.

8. 2A Batterie thread starter macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

Of course I'll be fine without any technology... the world isn't going to end. However, I'm trying to get input on if I can't get by using an iPod Touch for the means that I listed. I mean jeez, how am I supposed to communicate with my friends and family? What if I have a business opportunity that presents itself via email? I also need to listen to and practice with music regularly, as I am a musician. I still will be able to breathe without a laptop or an iPod, the world will still turn and the sun will still rise. I realize all of this, but I was just seeking some input on a technology related issue and not someone telling me that I don't need any of these things.

9. 2A Batterie thread starter macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

I used a Blackberry PEarl 8130 for two months, and was able to get by just using that. It is a pain to write lengthy emails, but it is better than nothing. That's what I hope to achieve with the iPod Touch. Yes, I realize that it is not ideal.

The problem with buying an older model is that I think it is such a waste. For just a few $$ more, I could get the new model with more power and updates. My plan is to do another cruise ship contract after this 3 month one, and I'll need a more powerful computer sooner or later. I do lots of audio recording and editing, and I'd like to have a portable powerful setup to take with me. I have an $850 credit with Powermax, and I'm sooooo close to being able to purchase a 2.4 Intel Duo MacBook. I don't want to blow it on a cheap used model because I will eventually need a new computer.

10. macman7002 macrumors regular

Mail & More....

I think you would be able to get by with an iPod Touch. I know I have when my laptop needed repairs and when I have forgotten to take my laptop with me on trips. And if you have the January Software Upgrade, in the mail app, you can save emails as drafts to send later.

11. LeahM macrumors 6502a

LeahM

You could look into renting a laptop. But isn't the whole idea of going on vacation to relax? Like yea its nice to stay in touch but thats a huge reason why people go on cruises.

12. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

He said he was going to WORK on the cruise ship. Big difference :D

13. Vinnie_vw macrumors 6502

I imagine that you could *call* your friends/family, and type any longer messages in the computer that will most certainly be present in a hotspot, i.e. an internet-cafe. Also, how can you receive email, if you don't have internet. And if you do have internet, wouldn't there be someone's computer you could borrow/rent for a little while?

In regards to music, I agree that a device would be nice, but an iPod classic fits a lot more of it for three months, than a 'touch.

But yes, if you can get a G4 for $400, I think it will be worth the effort. I've had one for the last three years, and you seriously don't need anything heavier to run Leopard even.

14. Resist macrumors 68030

If you don't like the answers then don't post a stupid question to an open forum where you will get world wide input!

15. LeahM macrumors 6502a

LeahM

Oh my bad, I guess I should stop speed reading, cuz I suck at it :p

But on the side note, typing on the touch sucks. Its ok if you don't have to type much but its not idea. I have fairly small fingers and mess up still but a nice feature is that when the word is off a bit, it will add an alternative and fill it in for you.

I don't know about the mail app but if you go to the website that you send emails from (eg, hotmail) you can save your email as a draft.

16. volsfan macrumors regular

volsfan

if its in your price range i think a iphone would be best for you. get a 4 gig because it sounds like you dont rly need music and videos

17. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

Yea .. you could get by with the iPod Touch.

You can also think about the Sony Mylo

It can be used to make Skype WiFi VOIP phone calls as well.

If you just want a small email/music/video device, I would use the Touch for 3 months.

Cheers.
    :):apple:

18. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

actually, yes you can. I'm going on at least a month without a laptop

19. 2A Batterie thread starter macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

"Stupid" is a fairly subjective term. You're entitled to your opinion, just like someone else would be perfectly entitled to the opinion that answering the question "should I go with an iPod Touch or a laptop?" with "you don't need technology" (on a computer-focused forum to boot) to register within a whole new realm of stupid.

20. 2A Batterie thread starter macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

I decided to sell several items in order to purchase a MacBook (2.4 Intel/2gb ram). I just couldn't imagine not having a computer to work on audio, send emails, and update my website. After reading all the helpful responses, it was pretty clear that I'd probably be better off with a laptop. Thanks for the input!

21. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

I got by with the iPhone for a week on safari in Kenya.. however it was convenient to do plenty of browsing and mail, but data is cheap.. i mainly relied on EDGE but WiFi when i could coz it was free in hotel/lodge.

i tended to send approximately 7 emails a day and these were lengthy ones which i would have normally done on my BB, but i forgot to pack and i had to call the IT guy to enable IMAP on Exchange Server for me then i configured my touch and used it.

however email doesnt consume that much data at all and even when roaming shouldnt be too expensive. i suggest you get an iPhone and unlock it.

22. LeahM macrumors 6502a

LeahM

Glad we could help?

23. aethelbert macrumors 601

Good choice. That computer should be able to last you 3-4 years, too.