Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wreckthisplace

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2006
Hey all,

Am I missing something here? I was under the impression that making a phone call from my mac using my iPhone was done over the wifi network and didn't require bluetooth. I have bluetooth on both devices but my macbook pro is a late 2008 model running the latest beta of Yosemite. My iPhone is an iPhone 4S running iOS 8.

I can pair an apple mouse with my mac via bluetooth but I can't seem to get my iPhone to pair.

If my understanding is right, Bluetooth should be irrelevant since it has been said that phone calls do not require Bluetooth. I should also mention that I can receive texts perfectly fine in iMessage on my Macbook.

When I try to make a call it says 'iPhone not available. Your iPhone is not configured to allow calls using your Mac'.

The option to make phone calls is checked under FaceTime preferences. All of my devices and accounts are signed into the same iCloud account.

Any idea what I can try? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

merrickdrfc

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2011
Doncaster / Berlin
there is no beta of iOS 8 that is compatible with the latest OS X Yosemite beta, they need to be at the same stage of development as such i.e. iOS 8 beta 5 - OS X Yosemite DP5.

Unfortunately as we won't get any more beta's of iOS 8 until we get GM, continuity is probably not going to work reliably until we have both OS X Yosemite GM and iOS 8 GM.

markyr17

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2010
there is no beta of iOS 8 that is compatible with the latest OS X Yosemite beta, they need to be at the same stage of development as such i.e. iOS 8 beta 5 - OS X Yosemite DP5.

Unfortunately as we won't get any more beta's of iOS 8 until we get GM, continuity is probably not going to work reliably until we have both OS X Yosemite GM and iOS 8 GM.

Your'e wrong here. I'm on DP7 and iOS 8 beta 5, and calling using my 2013 rMBP using my iPhone works just fine. Just need to be on the same wifi network.

To the OP: I think you are facing the woes of beta software. I think the best advice is to wait and see how the final release is.

merrickdrfc

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2011
Doncaster / Berlin
Your'e wrong here. I'm on DP7 and iOS 8 beta 5, and calling using my 2013 rMBP using my iPhone works just fine. Just need to be on the same wifi network.

To the OP: I think you are facing the woes of beta software. I think the best advice is to wait and see how the final release is.

Yep, you're right sorry I was thinking of Handoff!

wreckthisplace

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2006

Thanks guys.

That's a bummer because I am on the exact same versions as you. I can't get my iPhone and Macbook to pair to Bluetooth for the life of me and I can't seem to get my Mac to use my iPhone for calls over wifi. Bleh.

So am I right when I was under the impression that you don't need the devices to be connected over Bluetooth to make phone calls? Like I said, texts seem to be coming in fine.

How does it communicate with the phone and tell it to send out the call without bluetooth? Is that just done over wifi?

Thanks again.

Last edited:

DavidBlack

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2013
Somewhere In Apple's HQ ;)
Hey all,

Am I missing something here? I was under the impression that making a phone call from my mac using my iPhone was done over the wifi network and didn't require bluetooth. I have bluetooth on both devices but my macbook pro is a late 2008 model running the latest beta of Yosemite. My iPhone is an iPhone 4S running iOS 8.

I can pair an apple mouse with my mac via bluetooth but I can't seem to get my iPhone to pair.

If my understanding is right, Bluetooth should be irrelevant since it has been said that phone calls do not require Bluetooth. I should also mention that I can receive texts perfectly fine in iMessage on my Macbook.

When I try to make a call it says 'iPhone not available. Your iPhone is not configured to allow calls using your Mac'.

The option to make phone calls is checked under FaceTime preferences. All of my devices and accounts are signed into the same iCloud account.

Any idea what I can try? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
I had a similar problem with my iMac (2012) and my iPhone 5. I fixed it by first signing out of iCloud and FaceTime on both devices, then I restarted both of them. And Finally I signed back into iCloud and FaceTime it worked fine from then on, although sometimes it starts to behave odd again occasionally.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.