Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
iTunes in of itself doesn't make ring tones unless they are purchased from the iTunes store. Garage band can take any supported, unprotected track and make a ringtone out of it though

madog

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2004
Korova Milkbar
In the newest Garageband there is an option under the Share menu for "Share as Ringtone". Either the song needs to be cut before you select that, or after you do it (it might warn you if you try or just not work on the device if it is too long).

If you have a "normal" phone they can generally use mp3 files cut down to a certain size, which can be done in GB. The Share option just makes it work with the iPhone.

However, I don't know what the limitation is for normal music you've ripped. I have no idea if something special has to be done or if you can just drag/drop in GB, trim, then share. I've only done this with custom tracks I've made.

Well, I have done it for normal music, but I don't know of the rules about sharing that info. Google should be helpful. Either way I'm not on my home computer to retrace my steps for that info.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I've made several custom ringtones from .mp3 files. I just open a song in Audacity, crop the part I want as a ringtone, export it as an .mp3 and transfer it via bluetooth to my phone. Simple!

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
If it is an unprotected file, you can right click in itunes, click get info, on the Options tab click the start and end time you want for the ringtone (make it about 40 seconds)

Then, right click the file and export an AAC version (you might have change your import preferences if they are set to mp3)
This will create a .m4a file, right click on THAT in itunes and click show in finder. Then get info on that file and change the extension from .m4a to .m4r and double click it. That will reimport it into iTunes as a ringtone.

Voila, you have it. Sync the iPhone and you have a new ring tone option.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
If it is an unprotected file, you can right click in itunes, click get info, on the Options tab click the start and end time you want for the ringtone (make it about 40 seconds)

Then, right click the file and export an AAC version (you might have change your import preferences if they are set to mp3)
This will create a .m4a file, right click on THAT in itunes and click show in finder. Then get info on that file and change the extension from .m4a to .m4r and double click it. That will reimport it into iTunes as a ringtone.

That's a lot of steps! You're assuming, of course, that the OP has the iPhone. Many phones can use native .mp3 and .m4a files, with no need to convert from .mp3 > .aac > .m4a > .m4r

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
That's a lot of steps! You're assuming, of course, that the OP has the iPhone. Many phones can use native .mp3 and .m4a files, with no need to convert from .mp3 > .aac > .m4a > .m4r

...Some people don't use an iPhone :confused:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
...Some people don't use an iPhone :confused:
That's what I mean. My phone will accept .mp3 files as ringtones, so there's no need to go through all those extra conversions. Just crop the selection you want and sync it to the phone.
GGJ, I was talking about Audacity. Which one to download, there's 1.2.6a and 1.3.9
If you read what it says on their site, you'll see that 1.2.6a is the latest stable release, where 1.3.9 is a beta version. I'd go with the stable release, unless you like being on the bleeding edge of advancements.

icafelawrence

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2009
Lawrence, KS
Definitely use GarageBand. When you open it, there's an option for create ringtone. I use the voice template, then open the music media browser, select my itunes library and pull in whatever song I want. There is a bright yellow bar at the top that indicates the loop length. You can increase or decrease it, chop up your song, do whatever you want. Then send the ringtone to itunes from the share menu. Next time you sync your phone, it will move any ringtones you've created to your phone. It's AWESOME! and really easy too!

arjen92

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
Below sea level

I think these are the best steps, it might look a lot of steps (more than audacity or garageband, but I think it are less, as you don't have to run other programs, import songs and do all the steps not noted, but that are required). I used this method to make some ringtones. As I already said no need of other programs and such. Just make it long not too long (which you also would have to do in audacity), export it (which you also would have to do in audacity) change the name (okay this you wouldn't have to do in audacity, but you would have to open another program), import the file into iTunes (which you would also have to do with audacity).

So there are no more steps, but you don't have to download other stuff. It works perfect for me. And it looks difficult, but that's because every detail is explained, once you do it you'll get the flow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.