Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aditghai

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 25, 2007
I just for a MBP

In Windows when an application/document was opened it automatically was there in the taskbar. In OSX if i open another app, I have to use expose or right click the app and look for which window to maximize.

Is there anyway to make the dock document based instead of application based so when i open something therse is something already in the dock and i dont have to go looking for it.

Thanks

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
You cannot do what you are talking about.

The best you can do is right click on an application which will show a list of open windows.

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
exposé is much better than the taskbar IMHO. the taskbar gets cluttered too quickly and starts to group apps but with exposé you can have as many windows open as you want and still choose them very quickly and intuitively using exposé all windows/application windows.

theres also hide and hide all/show all which i have yet to master after using Mac OS X for a year.

design-is

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2007
London / U.K.
I agree - exposé is far superior.

I personally use the corner hot spots to allow easy file dragging from finder to application, finder to other finder window, desktop to finder window, etc etc

AndyK

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2008
Terra
Exposé is a far superior management of windows / folders / open applications compared to a task bar.

Have a play with the settings in System Preferences > Exposé to customize it the way you like.

.adam

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2007
I was pleasantly surprised to see that Exposé works when in grid view using Spaces. Top notch.

DarkHeraldMage

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
I agree - exposé is far superior.

I personally use the corner hot spots to allow easy file dragging from finder to application, finder to other finder window, desktop to finder window, etc etc

I agree! When I first switched I had hot corners turned off because it drove me crazy (my ADD has me throwing the mouse all over the place on the screen when I get bored waiting for something to load), but now I couldn't live without it. 3 out of the 4 corners are used and I'm waiting to figure out what I want for the 4th. I love expose. Yay :apple:.

JSchwage

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2006
Rochester, NY
Or instead of using Expose, you could do what I do. Use Cmd + Tab to switch applications and Cmd + ~ to switch application windows. :D

design-is

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2007
London / U.K.
I agree! When I first switched I had hot corners turned off because it drove me crazy (my ADD has me throwing the mouse all over the place on the screen when I get bored waiting for something to load), but now I couldn't live without it. 3 out of the 4 corners are used and I'm waiting to figure out what I want for the 4th. I love expose. Yay :apple:.

I'm glad I'm not the only one :D

My setup is attached.

Still can't decide on a useful application of the lower left corner lol

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    215.8 KB · Views: 107
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.