Can I Make the Dock Not Scrunch?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rmbrown09, Jul 22, 2010.

1. rmbrown09 macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

This post is a OCD post for sure, but there is something I cannot handle with the dock.

here it is,

as of right now, I have my apps set to minimize to the application itself, and that has been ok, but I likes the side minimization that is default.

The thing that bothers me is that when you get too many things minimized, or just have a lot of things in your dock, and minimize, your dock will start to compress, making the icons smaller.

What this does, it make space between your open windows and the dock, AND THIS BOTHERS THE CRAP OUT OF ME.

I like to have my browser and most of my Windows full screen always, so when I start doing stuff and there are little gaps created, I always end up resizing everything for the current dock.

So to save myself from exploding I have been using the minimize to application.

But is there a way? So when I minimize it just extends the dock off the screen I guess, but it doesn't compress? Is there a different solution?

[​IMG]

2. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

hide things instead of minimizing them.

CMD+H to hide something. Then just click the icon to unhide it.

3. bobbytomorow macrumors 6502

bobbytomorow

when you put more stuff on something that usually happens

/facepalm

4. Hydrocity macrumors 6502a

This. If you find the shortcut CMD+H to wierd (ie: not used to it, or it is very annoying) you could install Better Touch Tool and just make a trackpad shortcut. I use 3 finger tiptap to hide my things.

Also, can I get a link to your wallpaper?

5. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

Another solution could be to utilize spaces and not minimize or hide things.

6. rmbrown09 thread starter macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

7. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Go into system preferences. Then go into the dock section. Then check the box next to where it says "minimize windows into application icon." I have attached screenshots to guide you through it.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      76.2 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      49.1 KB
      Views:
  8. rmbrown09 thread starter macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

Thank you for this, but as I said up top
    "So to save myself from exploding I have been using the minimize to application. "

I was just wondering if something like MacPilot had a setting to stop the resizing no matter how much was in the dock.

9. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

Use Spaces or hide applications. If you don’t want to do either of these, just shrink the default size of the dock so that it fits more icons without shrinking.

10. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

I apologize, I must have overlooked that in your original post.

11. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

I understand the OCD thing, but wouldn’t a scrolling dock be very counter intuitive?

12. rmbrown09 thread starter macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

A scrolling dock?

13. Hydrocity macrumors 6502a

14. Xombie11 macrumors regular

15. NOTORIOUS187 macrumors member

So, basically, you want to be able to fit as many icons as you want in the dock without the size of the icons shrinking? Well, the natural method for squeezing more items into the same size space is to make the items smaller, so unless your screen grows along with the dock, it's impossible.

16. rmbrown09 thread starter macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

I just want my Dock to not adjust it's size to fit on the screen. when I have like 5 things minimized I don't want there to start being spaces.

I have a 1440x900 screen, so I really don't want to make the dock microscopic.
    I guess I just have to deal, and use the minimize to application.