can i make the red x actually close programs

Discussion in 'macOS' started by parisv, Mar 8, 2009.

1. parisv macrumors member

Is it possible to make it so when you click the red x on a program, it will actually quit it rather than closing the window and leaving the process running?

2. acxz macrumors regular

Nope... surely it's quicker to simply press CMD + Q anyway? Get into the habit of using keyboard shortcuts, they can save time everywhere.

3. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

nah unless your an intense programmer and wanna change every program im afraid your stuck!!!

":apple: + Q" FTW!

4. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

The function of the red button varies from application to application.

In firefox for example, it'll just close the window but leave the process running. However, in iPhoto (I think) it does actually close the application. It depends on the nature of the application.

I don't think you can change it.

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

wow that was a pretty uneventful rollercoaster! i thought you had a fix!!

when i saw it i was likes :eek: :eek:

then i read the first few replies then was like :( :(

then after a while it got a bit boring :mad: :mad:

hahah just kidding ;) :rolleyes:

6. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

but i like the way OS X handles applications ;). if its good enough for Steve its good enough for me haha jk.

ive come to realise Windows applications that have icons in the system tray and dont quit when you click the "X" button, like uTorrent, Antivirus apps etc. are kind of behaving similar to OS X apps. there are many advantages of having an app not quitting when you close all of its windows. theres about one disadvantage (with today's RAM sizes) which is new users wanting the app to quit, which can be solved by command-Q.

7. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

The function is quite consistent, it's just different from Windows. In OSX drag and drop actually works. Therefore it is useful to have multiple windows open. You don't really want closing one window to close all windows and shut down the program.

Some programs, like System Preferences, only have one window. In those programs closing the window shuts down the program because there is nothing else that can be done.

Most Windows users are in the habit of using one program, with one window, at a time. That is one reason they like to maximize windows to fill the whole screen.

If you start thinking about working with multiple open windows at once, you will see that both the red and the green buttons work exactly as they should.

Best wishes.

8. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

That's the point I was trying to get across in my rambling way. :)

9. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

I agree on the use of keyboard shortcuts. I never use the traffic lights anymore.

10. Lycidas macrumors newbie

Is there a shortcut for the green one?

11. parisv thread starter macrumors member

in windows if you have multiple internet explorer windows open if you click close it will close that window until u get to the last ie page that is open, then when you close that one it will exit ie.

12. parisv thread starter macrumors member

the reason why i ask is cos i have a mac mini in my home theatre setup, it's got 1.8ghz core duo and 512mb ram. After using for a while i decided to watch a movie, it jumped a little bit then i realized i had quite a few programs running! I accessing via screen share from my macbook, i don't know all the shortcuts yet so i will use cmd q from now as it works via screen share.

thanks everyone.

13. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

That's a very good question. It seems there isn't.

14. Binarymix macrumors 6502a

15. MacGeekPro macrumors newbie

If you wish to make your X button close the app (Like pressing Apple+Q) you will need to edit your sys prefs in Dev mode. Its hairy and complicated though. PM me if you want some more help.

Yoshi

16. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

I don't use the red x much. Always :apple: + Q.

Except for Firefox. I'd really like to change :apple: + Q to some other key combination. Sometimes I have 40 tabs open, then I reach for :apple: + W to close a tab, and accidentally press :apple: + Q! :mad::mad:

Is there any way to change it for Firefox?