Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cdogg44

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2014
Long time Android user, specifically Samsung Note 2 & 3. Current phone is a two year old Note 3 and admittedly is working fine. However, it has begun to slow down, is no longer being updated, and has some annoying quirks like freezing or losing widget support which requires a restart to fix. I'm also on my 2nd battery (Anker) and the front facing camera/screen sensor has been replaced once (by me) and is on the fritz again. I expect better build quality from Apple. I am hard on a phone but the Note's have held up decent for me. I don't drop them or abuse them, but talk 2-3 hours per day along with 3+ hours of screen time for my job and need a phone that can make it through the day.

Reasons I'm looking to go to iOS with an iPhone:
-I'm the only Android user in my extended family. While this doesn't matter much, I can't FaceTime anyone or share a charger. My wife switched to an iPhone a year ago and now we have two chargers/cords/car chargers due to the difference in Lightning and microUSB. I also use OSX for my home desktop and laptop. However I don't feel that not having an iPhone has held me back any there.

-Something different. After 4 years on an OS that has basically stayed the same I'm looking for something fresh. Kind of ridiculous I know.

-Samsung bugs, glitches, freezes, etc. This obviously isn't bad enough for me to stop using my current phone, but it can get annoying. Additionally, everything out there has dropped support for removable batteries or microSD cards, so Samsung no longer has the edge they once held over an iPhone (in my opinion).

-Native apps. On my Note 3 I use Chrome, Textra, Dialer One, and a few other minor 3rd party apps to overcome the limitations of the native Samsung/Android apps. I expect iOS to deliver out of the box and avoid this hassle.

Reasons I'm hesitant to switch and am looking for input:
-T9 dialer support. This is the biggest reason I don't have an iPhone. I'm in construction and spend my day driving around and making tons of calls. I need to quickly find and dial a phone number out of a contact list of over 1000. It goes back to my Blackberry days, but being able to start typing a contact's name (or number) on the number pad and it quickly sort them out to the necessary contact is invaluable. Also many of my contacts have strange names that make this easier for me to keep track. For instance, I may have contacts named "Acme Brick", "Acme Brick Warehouse", "Acme Brick Driver John", "Acme Brick Sales Desk", "Acme Brick Guardshack"...you get the idea. T9 dialer support is crucial to me and why I use Dialer One on my Samsung (who's stock dialer is horrendous).

-Samsung Keyboard. I love that on my Note 3 the keyboard has a dedicated number row above the first row of letters. Such a time saver. Additionally, the fact that I can long press a letter to get a ? or $ makes too much sense for it not to be implemented on the iPhone (my opinion).

-Google Now. I don't fly much at all, but having Google Now sift through my Gmail and list my flight status, gate, and time the night before I go somewhere is amazing. Packages that are ordered show up as a card that I can quickly track instead of searching for an email and going from there. I fear things like this are some of the "little things" I'll miss switching to iOS. Also, being able to lay in bed and type "remind me at 730 am to call Sam" in the Google Search widget and it create a reminder has become very useful. I know Siri can do this, but from what I understand you have to say it and are not able to type it and I find that somewhat unbelievable.

-Replaceable battery & microSD. While this is getting harder to find, the only reason I still have a two year old Note 3 is because I have replaced the battery to be able to make it through the day. I do expect better battery life and build quality from Apple, though. I also value the microSD. When I take too many pictures and fill up a 32GB card, I just buy a 64GB and keep rolling. I don't have to worry about memory and I value that a lot.

-File & photo syncing. I use an app called SyncMe to sync my photos, SMS backup file, voice notes, and anything else I need to my desktop computer every night around 4 AM while my phone is charging. It's so simple and allows me to view photos from my phone in a normal file structure and be able to archive anything I need in case I lost my phone the next day. My desktop is a 5+ year old iMac (best investment ever) and I do NOT use iPhoto and much prefer folders for photo organization.

-SMS Backup. I use SMS Backup & Restore to create a backup file of my SMS messages daily and then sync that to my computer. In my business, 2/3 or more of my communication is over text messages and having a backup file to recall bids, prices, offers, etc. has saved me more than once. I consider some form of SMS backup a must have. I also use an app called SMS Backup + that syncs all of my texts to Gmail. While it is not 100%, it provides an easily searchable way to find something at a computer and a long term archive of texts

-The back button. I don't know how iPhone users get away without it, but the back button seems to make so much sense. Apple's sold like a billion iPhones, so maybe I'm the one missing the boat but it seems to make things so much easier.

-S Pen. I may not use it for a month and then use it 5 times in one day. Being able to take a picture, draw on it, and then send it out can be unbelievably helpful in my line of work. Other than very light note taking in Action Memo and writing on pictures I don't use it for anything else.

That's pretty much it. If you've made it this far, I'd appreciate any unbiased opinions based on my needs and wants. I very much appreciate your time.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Also, being able to lay in bed and type "remind me at 730 am to call Sam" in the Google Search widget and it create a reminder has become very useful. I know Siri can do this, but from what I understand you have to say it and are not able to type it and I find that somewhat unbelievable.
It is kind of unbelievable, but it really works. It is quite amazing, and I personally use Siri 10-30 times a day. It is very much a time saver.

-The back button. I don't know how iPhone users get away without it, but the back button seems to make so much sense. Apple's sold like a billion iPhones, so maybe I'm the one missing the boat but it seems to make things so much easier.
Not missing one here. Any back button needed is always displayed in the top left, but I would say that the Home button takes care of most needs in that aspect.

SPX

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2008
To be perfectly honest, it sounds to me like you use many features of Android which are not available on iOS. For your intended use, as you describe it, I'd stick with Android. I think that you'd find iOS fails to meet your needs.

cdogg44

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2014
It is kind of unbelievable, but it really works. It is quite amazing, and I personally use Siri 10-30 times a day. It is very much a time saver.

I should've been more clear on this. I have no doubt that Siri works using your voice (Google does for me too), but being able to type it in when you're next to a sleeping wife, in a meeting, etc. without having to actually talk to the phone is what I meant.

Thanks for the reply guys. I'm interested in some of the specifics that I listed and value the input a lot!

yaboyac29

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2014
Everything listed are non issues for me personally.

Back button? I can just swipe from the side of the screen and it will take me to the previous page.

T9? There's a favourites tab on the phone.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I should've been more clear on this. I have no doubt that Siri works using your voice (Google does for me too), but being able to type it in when you're next to a sleeping wife, in a meeting, etc. without having to actually talk to the phone is what I meant.

Thanks for the reply guys. I'm interested in some of the specifics that I listed and value the input a lot!
You can always launch the Reminders app and quickly create a reminder there.

BentTable123

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2015
Given you are in construction, I'm guessing you have a pretty rugged case on your note, so you could get a battery case for your iphone and not have to change batteries. iphone battery life is quite good, I think the battery case solves your needs.

As far as I can tell, iphone does not have predictive dialing, but your contacts will sync to icloud You'll always be able to use icloud (even on a pc) to look up contact names. If you're storing your contacts on google's cloud, that's fine, iphone can keep syncing to google. For sms and imessage, they will instantly sync to a mac or ipad, which makes searching through sms much easier.

Google now is available on the iphone, just not as a widget. You have to open the google app, and everything is there, just like android. You can even text or voice search.

Samsung keyboard is definitely better than iphones for you. Personally I have a galaxy s4 and iphone 6s and the 6s keyboard is much easier to type on because each key is wider in area, same with numbers. But I can see how that extra row of numbers is easier to access. You can download new keyboards for iphone, but I don't know if any adds that extra row.

For photo syncing, you're not going to like iphone as it requires iphoto or the new photos app. You can import your photos via usb cable, but yeah, that's annoying. Somehow the windows world automatically gets iphone photos synced via folders, but not the mac world.....

The back button is completely unnecessary and forgotten in iOS. Swipes and the home button act as the back button. Software is coded better to not need back. I'm not saying it's better, I just like iphone's implementation better. I hate the back button on android.

I will say that Samsung's health app is worlds better than iphone's. Iphone's health basically tracks steps. Samsung's S-health actually tells you how to exercise and how to do better.

If you switch to iphone, you probably will have several days of pain trying to import everything over, but once it's done, the OS is much easier to use.

Flow39

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2014
The Apple Store
If you really want to use an iPhone, I fell that you'd be most satisfied with the 6s Plus because it has amazing battery life and can last through more than a day on a single charge. It's a true "power user" phone and has a lot of capability.

However, it seems to me like Android is the platform you'd be better off sticking with. I'd recommend a Note 5, Nexus 6p, or LG V10 for your needs. The V10 offers a removable battery and expandable storage along with a great camera and fluid performance. It's also an extremely durable phone. The 6p is the best that Android has to offer and gets software updates frequently. It also has a phenomenal camera, buttery smooth lag free performance, and great battery life. The Note 5 has the S Pen that you would like, good performance (minus TouchWiz), and a best in class display and camera.

I think all of those phones are good, but it will all come down to personal preference and what features you value over others. You really can't go wrong with the 6s Plus if you choose iOS, and you can't go wrong with either of the three phones I recommended if you choose Android.

cdogg44

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2014
Everything listed are non issues for me personally.

Back button? I can just swipe from the side of the screen and it will take me to the previous page.

T9? There's a favourites tab on the phone.

Regarding the lack of a back button, I have been unable to do what you are describing to swipe back to the previous page. I have been messing with my wife's iPhone and, for instance, in Messages if I am reading a conversation I cannot get back to the main list without pressing the "<Messages" button at the top left. Swiping doesn't work or I'm doing it wrong. On a big phone like my Note 3 I can read texts one handed by using the back button on the bottom to return to the main list, whereas it's a bigger chore to push the button on the top left of her similarly sized 6+ using one hand. Am I missing something here?

Regarding T9 and the favorites tab, other than family, it's hard to set up favorites with 1000+ contacts when I may be calling anyone from a framer, then lumber salesman, then the lumberyard, and finally the delivery driver all in a matter of seconds to try and determine how far out a delivery is. T9 solves this right in the dialer. I am testing using Spotlight to search for contacts but am not having 100% success due to having to type the contact name in exact order versus typing "lumbe" to bring up all of my lumberyard contacts. I know I'm not in the norm but this is essential to my workflow.

I appreciate the other replies. I did not realize the Google app was available and, while an extra tap or two away, it should solve my Google Now issues. I hope.

I do not run a case on my Note 3. While it is able to make it through the day, I am expecting better battery life out of a 6S+. I have looked at the battery cases and do believe they would fix the problem if it even becomes one.

Thanks

tom504

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2009
Long time Android user, specifically Samsung Note 2 & 3. Current phone is a two year old Note 3 and admittedly is working fine. However, it has begun to slow down, is no longer being updated, and has some annoying quirks like freezing or losing widget support which requires a restart to fix. I'm also on my 2nd battery (Anker) and the front facing camera/screen sensor has been replaced once (by me) and is on the fritz again. I expect better build quality from Apple. I am hard on a phone but the Note's have held up decent for me. I don't drop them or abuse them, but talk 2-3 hours per day along with 3+ hours of screen time for my job and need a phone that can make it through the day.

Reasons I'm looking to go to iOS with an iPhone:
-I'm the only Android user in my extended family. While this doesn't matter much, I can't FaceTime anyone or share a charger. My wife switched to an iPhone a year ago and now we have two chargers/cords/car chargers due to the difference in Lightning and microUSB. I also use OSX for my home desktop and laptop. However I don't feel that not having an iPhone has held me back any there.

-Something different. After 4 years on an OS that has basically stayed the same I'm looking for something fresh. Kind of ridiculous I know.

Most people I know switch for this reason, one way or the other

-Samsung bugs, glitches, freezes, etc. This obviously isn't bad enough for me to stop using my current phone, but it can get annoying. Additionally, everything out there has dropped support for removable batteries or microSD cards, so Samsung no longer has the edge they once held over an iPhone (in my opinion).

Reason I got rid of my Samsung S6 edge, buggy, slow downs, constant need to reboot. And, which I failed to mention before, looking at the phone outside with sunglasses on, can't do it. Have to take them off to read the screen.

-Native apps. On my Note 3 I use Chrome, Textra, Dialer One, and a few other minor 3rd party apps to overcome the limitations of the native Samsung/Android apps. I expect iOS to deliver out of the box and avoid this hassle.

having switched to an Iphone I am happy with the iphone dialer but wish there was 3rd party caller-id integration.

Reasons I'm hesitant to switch and am looking for input:
-T9 dialer support. This is the biggest reason I don't have an iPhone. I'm in construction and spend my day driving around and making tons of calls. I need to quickly find and dial a phone number out of a contact list of over 1000. It goes back to my Blackberry days, but being able to start typing a contact's name (or number) on the number pad and it quickly sort them out to the necessary contact is invaluable. Also many of my contacts have strange names that make this easier for me to keep track. For instance, I may have contacts named "Acme Brick", "Acme Brick Warehouse", "Acme Brick Driver John", "Acme Brick Sales Desk", "Acme Brick Guardshack"...you get the idea. T9 dialer support is crucial to me and why I use Dialer One on my Samsung (who's stock dialer is horrendous).

Don't think from the dial pad on an iphone you can start typing the letters of a name it the name pops up. Think you have to go to the contacts and search from there. That is one thing I do miss on Android

-Samsung Keyboard. I love that on my Note 3 the keyboard has a dedicated number row above the first row of letters. Such a time saver. Additionally, the fact that I can long press a letter to get a ? or $ makes too much sense for it not to be implemented on the iPhone (my opinion).

I don't know, I seem to type better in the iphone keyboard and the auto correct seems a lot better. I send much quicker text on an iphone.

-Google Now. I don't fly much at all, but having Google Now sift through my Gmail and list my flight status, gate, and time the night before I go somewhere is amazing. Packages that are ordered show up as a card that I can quickly track instead of searching for an email and going from there. I fear things like this are some of the "little things" I'll miss switching to iOS. Also, being able to lay in bed and type "remind me at 730 am to call Sam" in the Google Search widget and it create a reminder has become very useful. I know Siri can do this, but from what I understand you have to say it and are not able to type it and I find that somewhat unbelievable.

Have not played enough with Siri but you can install Google now on an iphone, which I did and have cards being sent to my watch.

-Replaceable battery & microSD. While this is getting harder to find, the only reason I still have a two year old Note 3 is because I have replaced the battery to be able to make it through the day. I do expect better battery life and build quality from Apple, though. I also value the microSD. When I take too many pictures and fill up a 32GB card, I just buy a 64GB and keep rolling. I don't have to worry about memory and I value that a lot.

I bought a 128gb 6s+, seems like a lot of space so far.

-File & photo syncing. I use an app called SyncMe to sync my photos, SMS backup file, voice notes, and anything else I need to my desktop computer every night around 4 AM while my phone is charging. It's so simple and allows me to view photos from my phone in a normal file structure and be able to archive anything I need in case I lost my phone the next day. My desktop is a 5+ year old iMac (best investment ever) and I do NOT use iPhoto and much prefer folders for photo organization.

Ever try Google Photo? Sync, unlimited space, with video and the search capabilities are ridiculously good.

-SMS Backup. I use SMS Backup & Restore to create a backup file of my SMS messages daily and then sync that to my computer. In my business, 2/3 or more of my communication is over text messages and having a backup file to recall bids, prices, offers, etc. has saved me more than once. I consider some form of SMS backup a must have. I also use an app called SMS Backup + that syncs all of my texts to Gmail. While it is not 100%, it provides an easily searchable way to find something at a computer and a long term archive of texts

-S Pen. I may not use it for a month and then use it 5 times in one day. Being able to take a picture, draw on it, and then send it out can be unbelievably helpful in my line of work. Other than very light note taking in Action Memo and writing on pictures I don't use it for anything else.

That's pretty much it. If you've made it this far, I'd appreciate any unbiased opinions based on my needs and wants. I very much appreciate your time.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Regarding the lack of a back button, I have been unable to do what you are describing to swipe back to the previous page. I have been messing with my wife's iPhone and, for instance, in Messages if I am reading a conversation I cannot get back to the main list without pressing the "<Messages" button at the top left. Swiping doesn't work or I'm doing it wrong. On a big phone like my Note 3 I can read texts one handed by using the back button on the bottom to return to the main list, whereas it's a bigger chore to push the button on the top left of her similarly sized 6+ using one hand. Am I missing something here?

Regarding T9 and the favorites tab, other than family, it's hard to set up favorites with 1000+ contacts when I may be calling anyone from a framer, then lumber salesman, then the lumberyard, and finally the delivery driver all in a matter of seconds to try and determine how far out a delivery is. T9 solves this right in the dialer. I am testing using Spotlight to search for contacts but am not having 100% success due to having to type the contact name in exact order versus typing "lumbe" to bring up all of my lumberyard contacts. I know I'm not in the norm but this is essential to my workflow.

I appreciate the other replies. I did not realize the Google app was available and, while an extra tap or two away, it should solve my Google Now issues. I hope.

I do not run a case on my Note 3. While it is able to make it through the day, I am expecting better battery life out of a 6S+. I have looked at the battery cases and do believe they would fix the problem if it even becomes one.

Thanks
Swiping back definitely works in the Measages app.

As far as the dialing, favorites are for often used contacts, for everything else there's the Contacts section there where a contact can be found fairly easily via skipping to its letter and dialing it from there or doing a quick (even partial) search. There are also various third party apps available for contacts that can offer something along the lines of T9 abilities if that's desired.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.