Can I move my iMac SATA drive to a new Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by macgruder, Jan 11, 2008.

1. macgruder macrumors 6502

I'm about to buy a mac pro and I recently upgraded my iMac G5 (first generation) to a 500Gig SATA drive. Can I simply move the 500GB into my new Mac Pro.

It's a Hitachi Deskstar T7K500 ( HDT725050VLA360 )

Many thanks.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Just unscrew it from the iMac G5 after opening it up and put it into the Mac Pro. You'll be set after that but just remember you won't be able to boot off of it.

3. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

Adding to Eidorian's post, you won't be able to boot off the iMac's drive because it runs PPC OS X. If you were to reinstall OS X after copying off your documents etc, you could erase and install on the HD with no issues since its just a normal SATA drive (if that were your preference).

4. macgruder thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. Actually, I'm going to go from scratch with the new leopard install, and just want an extra drive and an easy way to move data across. The 500 Gig has Tiger and is a direct descendant of my 10.0 installation :) I even discovered the other day that /usr/bin/head had been inadvertently replaced by /usr/bin/HEAD which is part of a Perl library so it's time for a install from scratch. I'll then erase the 500 Gig and use it as a backup as you suggest.

5. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

6. jaimem macrumors newbie

i'll second that