Can I move my iMovie Library?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Michael73, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Michael73 macrumors 65816

Last week I ordered my new Mac Pro with a 1TB SSD. My current boot drive has 950GB worth of stuff on it so I want to free up some space before the new machine arrives. In looking around, one of the biggest space hogs is my iMovie Library which takes up almost 160GB. By default, the iMovie Library is placed in the Movies directory.

In order to free up space can I simply copy the iMovie Library to another drive?

Ultimately, since I bought a Drobo 5D to house the drives that sit in my current Mac Pro, I want to move the iMovie Library over to it and run it via TB. Doable? Advisable?

2. snipper macrumors regular

snipper

Certainly do-able. Just google and you'll find how to move it around.

3. mpantone macrumors 6502

4. Michael73 thread starter macrumors 65816

That document says that the external drive must be Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and networked attached storage won't work. Does this mean it won't work with a Drobo 5D?

I think Drobos have their own formatting structure but I'm not sure what it is?!?!

5. mpantone, Dec 26, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2013

mpantone macrumors 6502

Gee, I'd ask Drobo technical support for a definitive answer rather than putz around here at MacRumors. I'm guessing that you won't be the first person to ask them.

Heck, they might even have their own online support documents about this topic.

(Edit: after a brief glance at the Drobo website, it appears that the Drobo 5D is multi-disk enclosure, but the user has a choice of formatting the array for Mac HFS+ or Windows NTFS. In any case, I still suggest you follow up with Drobo technical support.)

Anyhow, good luck.

6. snipper macrumors regular

snipper