Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OC513

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2007
NYC
So I just made the switch from iPhoto to Photos and I would like to upload all my pics to iCloud. I had moved my iPhoto folder to an external drive long ago as my photo library is huge. Now when I try to upload my pics to iCloud from Photos I get an error message stating "iCloud can only be used with the System Photo Library" which is empty on my Mac hard drive. Is there any way to make the folder on my external the System Photo Library? Maybe point the Photos app to it or rename the folder on my external drive to System Photo Library? I searched the web and came up with nothing at all. I know you guys will know whether this can be done or not, if not I will be shocked. Thanks in advance guys, this is driving me nuts.

RedRaven571

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2009
Pennsylvania
Don't know about photos/Yosemite but for iPhoto/iMovie, you hold down option key when launching the app and you can choose the library you want yo use

OC513

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2007
NYC
Don't know about photos/Yosemite but for iPhoto/iMovie, you hold down option key when launching the app and you can choose the library you want yo use

yes that can still be done but does not solve my problem. Thanks though.

OC513

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2007
NYC
I found it guys. Its in the Preferences drop down in Photos. All good now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.