Can I multitask in this way?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by G3ck092, Mar 22, 2016.

1. G3ck092 macrumors member

I'm wondering if I can replace my Macbook with an iPad for most uses, so this is one question I have.

Right now I am watching Netflix and chatting to friends on Steam. Is there a way I can have Netflix open, easily go into Steam without closing Netflix, send messages then go back to watching? The main problem I had with this was that Steam had to reload every time I opened it. Is there an easy, quick way I can watch Netflix fullscreen, but still easily go to Steam to send messages, without closing Netflix, and hopefully no loading?

Thanks.

2. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

No. Netflix doesn't support any of the new multitasking features. So once you leave the Netflix app, it pauses the video. If Steam supports the new multitasking features, you could use slide over to chat without leaving the Netflix app, but it'll cover about a third of the video while you chat.

What you want is possible but not supported at the moment.

3. username: macrumors 6502a

I can't see if the STEAM app supports slide-over but if so then that would be an easy way to do it.

4. G3ck092 thread starter macrumors member

When you say Netflix doesn't support the multitasking features, does that mean I can't have Netflix and Safari open at the same time?

5. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

Correct. You also can't do PIP. The ability is there, but Netflix hasn't updated their app to support it.

6. G3ck092 thread starter macrumors member

Hmm... with Android N now supporting free-floating windows it seems the better option, especially for almost half the price. But the iOS ecosystem is so nice.

7. Ludatyk macrumors 65816

Ludatyk

I think eventually Netflix will support PiP.

In regards to tablet apps... Android has poor support compared to iOS. HBO supports PiP along with Showtime, Encore & Starz.

I just think that soon nearly all these video driven apps will support PiP, the customers that's paying monthly dues will demand it.

8. G3ck092 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, after some research you're not wrong. Great hardware ruined by awful software.

I guess it can't hurt to buy the iPad, and if it doesn't do what I want I can return it. It's just so expensive compared to a 25% off Pixel C.

9. Ludatyk macrumors 65816

Ludatyk

Yeah.. I thought about doing the Developer discount with Pixel C now that Android N provides Multitasking support... But Android platform are far far away from catching iOS with tablet apps.

And yeah, it's expensive compared to the Pixel C. I had paid for the iPP when it first launched, but I was sold on it as soon as it was presented. There's plenty of deals out there for the iPP... From Craigslist to Best Buy refurbished prices or open boxes. I suggest you go with a refurbished model & give it a try.. Doesn't hurt to at least give it a chance see if it works for you. If not, return it.