Can I my time capsule to....

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by sparkie1984, Mar 12, 2011.

1. sparkie1984 macrumors 68000

Hi guys,

I have sky broadband, their router has 4 ethernet ports and is not "n" rated for wifi.

I need to use more than 4 ethernet ports so could i somehow plug in my time capsule to my sky router and give me 8 ethernet ports to use, That would also be handy as I could get my time capsule up and running for backups again.

Thanks for any ideas or help guys

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Yes, but you'll only have 7 available ethernet ports (not 8) because you have to plug the TC into one of the ports on the Sky router. You'll need to put the TC is bridge mode.

3. sparkie1984 thread starter macrumors 68000

thanks miles,

Do i need to do anything plug wise? or just whack the tc into an available ethernet port? Then which port do I plug the ethernet from my sky router into? I guess its the port with the circle?

Then put it in bridge mode and thats everything is it?

4. flynz4 macrumors 68040

The port you refer to is the WAN port... and yes that is the one that you would use as the input to your TC.

You will only have 6 available ethernet ports (not 7 or 8). Three from your router, and three from your TC. If you need more, buy an inexpensive ethernet switch (often 5 or 8 ports) to extend you network as large as you desire.

Yes you want bridged mode.

/Jim

5. sparkie1984 thread starter macrumors 68000