can I not download the iphone software update?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by julescommando, Sep 21, 2012.

1. julescommando macrumors newbie

I updated my iphone 4s to is6 ota all is good
    today ive got my new iphone 5 have got all my data and stuff transferred over so go team!!!
    I want to give my wife my 4s to replace her 4
    ive backed up the 4 and when I try to restore I have to download the iphone software update. its been downloading for 7hrs also it was interrupted and started again have been now going for another 2 hrs and is at less than 50%
    my internet is fine and I understand that apple servers are busy today but is there anyway I can just skip this update and restore anyway,,,the 4s has ios6 anyways I just want to have my wifes photos and data on it

any help would be great
    cheers

2. 7thson macrumors 6502a

7thson

Yes, you can stop the update and restart the restore without the updating to iOS6. You will need to eject the iphone before you can begin the restore process, I think, but it's not going to hurt your iPhone. I've done this before when it was just taking too long to download the software. After you restore, you can update it through wifi (my preference these days as iTunes is more of a hassle) when the servers aren't all clogged. Hope this helps.