Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iRhyknow

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 12, 2005
I cant seem to find a slot to plug it in, so I know it wont work, but is there another option? An adapter or something?

epochblue

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
I cant seem to find a slot to plug it in, so I know it wont work, but is there another option? An adapter or something?

You'd be looking for an ExpressCard to PCMCIA converter card, but I don't know if such a thing exists as it would be terribly unsightly...

quovadis

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2006
in PA

Another option: purchase a USB adapter for the card ..... have accessed up to 4GB cards this way on my MBP

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Another option: purchase a USB adapter for the card ..... have accessed up to 4GB cards this way on my MBP

Either you or I have the wrong end of the stick. I think it's you. I'm assume 3G is referring to Third Generation, as in the newer high speed mobile (cell) phone standards. A 3G data card lets you access the web at reasonably high speeds over these networks. It's not a 3Gb memory card.

j26

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
Paddyland
I just got a USB one from Vodafone Ireland recently (part of a contract). It's a Huwaei E220. Works a treat, but seems to be a tad pricey on its own

miniConvert

macrumors 68040
I just got a USB one from Vodafone Ireland recently (part of a contract). It's a Huwaei E220. Works a treat, but seems to be a tad pricey on its own
Awesome product, works great on Mac's - highly recommended (mine's Vodafone branded, mainland UK, currently gets 1.2mbps where I am).

It seems odd how Apple has led the charge on laptop advancements for so many, many years, and yet they don't offer integrated 3G in any of their machines. I mean christ, Dell, HP and Lenovo are all in on the action :(

quovadis

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2006
in PA
Either you or I have the wrong end of the stick. I think it's you. I'm assume 3G is referring to Third Generation, as in the newer high speed mobile (cell) phone standards. A 3G data card lets you access the web at reasonably high speeds over these networks. It's not a 3Gb memory card.

yep - you're right. Sorry!

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I mean christ, Dell, HP and Lenovo are all in on the action :(

The standing excuse had been that the US market is too fractured between GSM, CDMA, etc. But the US is becoming more and more GSM-centric, and obviously, this has not stopped Apple from focusing the lion's share of their cell work on GSM. So now that the iPhone is a GSM device, perhaps the door is open for Apple to also start supporting the 2.5G and 3G data services that GSM devices use, as there should be plenty of people who'd use EDGE in the US and a good handful already for 3GSM, and of course more elsewhere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.