Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kickrz

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2010
I have an 3G with 3.1.2 and when I try to download an app it says that the 4.0 upgrade is needed. My phone is JB and unlocked and would need to be if I update. Should I just leave it alone and deal with it or is there an easy way to upgrade without messing anything up?

TIA :)

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
I have an 3G with 3.1.2 and when I try to download an app it says that the 4.0 upgrade is needed. My phone is JB and unlocked and would need to be if I update. Should I just leave it alone and deal with it or is there an easy way to upgrade without messing anything up?

Stay where you are version 4 of the firmware does no run very well on the 3G and it will slow your phone down. Do without the app that requires version 4.

bytethese

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2007

You could use Pwnage Tool to update to 4.1 to keep your baseband where it's at so it's still unlockable. 4.1 is supposed to run better on the 3G's but I am not sure how much better exactly. :)

Good news is that you can try it and if it runs like crap, you can downgrade back to 3.1.2. One other option, I believe there is a way to spoof your iOS version by editing a plist file that might trick your iPhone into being able to download the app, but it may rely on 4.x frameworks that your 3.x phone won't have.

kickrz

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2010
So I think I may try your suggestion to go to 4.1. Is there anyway you can walk me through this so I don't totally mess up my phone?

kickrz

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2010
Thanks I will have a look. I am just really nervous as my husband upgraded his and the baseband updated so he was without his phone for months and I do not have a backup phone so if I screw this up I am out of a phone!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.