Can I order a MBA in Store

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by i-sidd, Oct 12, 2012.

1. i-sidd macrumors 6502a

I know I can get employee discount from my compnay on Apple products, I don't know how much, and I can't fidn a way to buy with that discount online.

Can I go to apple store and place an order there and they ring it up with the disocunt applied.

Will they ship it to thestore or can they ship it to my home. I want to upgrade the ram and ssd, with the dicount its around $1480 or something.
    I figured might as well get the 8gb and 256 ssd, but I wanted to confirm how much space does the 256 ssd actually have?

2. i-sidd thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok, so I found the discounted price, I can get the i5, 8gb, 256 ssd for $1500, $100 discount or the i5 8gb, 128 for $1220.

The difference between thw two around $280, should I go with the bigger SSD.

Can I get the smalled size SSD and put everything into it and see how much space is left, if too much then I keep it tool ittle space is left then I exchange it for the bigger SSD.

DOe steh store carry 8gb, 128SSD models?

3. i-sidd thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. TC25 macrumors 68020

Why don't you call the store and ask? In the time you've spent asking questions here, you could have had your answer.

5. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Just do it from Apple.com, pick everything as u wish, tell it to ship to the store you have in mind then it will tell you whether it's on stock, kill the page and don't hit the check-out button.

Corp discount, there maybe a link somewhere in your company site that takes u to it, or go the site directly and it asks for your company's email addr.

6. TC25 macrumors 68020

This advice is hilarious. Instead of calling the store and asking, do this. :facepalm:

7. CatsTide macrumors 6502

Ever thought he may not want to call the store? The advice was fine. I do this all the time to see if the store has the item I'm looking for. Takes about a minute to do this. A call could take longer,or not...who cares if you don't want to make the call.

----------

When I got my Air they had the 256gb/8gb/i7 in stock...your store might have the same.

8. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Some of u can't read between the lines. Everybody knows what a phone is, they just prefer to do it some other way.

Some times, voice communication is imperfect. Have u EVER have an agent tell you one thing over the phone then when u show up, they go, "uh... that's not right, who did you talked to? oh you don't have a name, then we can't honor you that quote."

Give what the OP asks.

9. i-sidd thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, i went to the store and they only have the base and the higher end model with 512 SSD.

While I was there i played with a 4gb 128 SSD and when I looked at the space available it had only had 20 gb space remaining, most of what showed as filled was by the " other" option.

What falls in that other category. I am worried that If i get the 128, it will soon get filled with backups, updates etc and I will feel wanting more space.

10. Mrbobb macrumors 601

So am gonna to guess this is your first notebook, u have no prior experience to know your usage pattern?

Look man, it's NEVER big enough. I say you have something to worry if you currently, or in the near future will have a large iTunes library and this is going to be your sync machine (meaning u have to keep the entire library in this notebook all the time). OR is you intend to watch lots of movies on this notebook and u like them to be loaded and ready when ur stuck at airports, boring friends' house etc. Or u doing some kind of video production and of course those take lots of space.

Other than those (top of my head), the forward thinking way is to have external storage, and by external I want to say a file server, a separate box that sits in your house where you can stuff as much storage as you can afford in there and you don't have to do it in one swoop, u can upgrade them as needed, and this storage is available to you, at home, wirelessly if that's not too slow for you. It can be available to you across the Internet if u are so technically inclined but there are ways.

The good news is, the SSD in the Air CAN be upgrade at a later time, for us geeks. I dunno know your technical comfort zone.

M 0.02.

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That machine must have had something beyond stock applications installed on it. If you buy a 128GB machine and install iLife and iWorks apps, you will still have about 100GB of free space. So the question you need to ask yourself is can you fit all your documents, photos, music etc. on 100GB.

12. i-sidd thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks for your suggestions, I think I will go with the 8gb 128SSD.

I will get the external drive and back up everything there including iphot and itunes libarary.

OT - I have question regarding itunes and the current music that I have. I have some music which I have transfered to my external drive,

How can I best import those songs back to the new MBA that I will be buying.

What I mean is do I have to improt all the music back to the new MBA, then have that new MBA's itunes library moved to the external drive.

OR

DO I simple move the empty MBA's itunes libarary to the external drive and then import the music.

13. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

This one. Just move the new (empty) library to the external drive. Then hold option key when you start iTunes and select the iTunes library on the external drive as your library. Then import your music into iTunes and it will be placed in the library on the external.

14. i-sidd thread starter macrumors 6502a

Is there an easy way to do this. I am technically inclined, but don't knwo to what extent I will be able to set it up.

I want to make sure that once I have my MBA I set up up to the best of my abilities in a manner which can serve my purpose.

Can I backup to external drive automatically through Time machine without buying the Tie capsule.

Which external drive should I buy?

Currently I have a seagate go 500 gb protable external drive (all movies in this formatted to NTFS) and a 1tb external drive(HFS and NTFS format)

I want to use a fresh external drive for teh MBA itune and iphoto library as well as backups, any recommendation as to which external drive I should I buy.

15. i-sidd thread starter macrumors 6502a

should I wait for the upcoming annoucement on oct 23 or buy now.

16. TC25 macrumors 68020

Are you willing to buy a 13" rMBP instead of a 13" MBA?

17. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If you can wait, I would. Even if there is no new MBA (and I doubt there will be), prices might be realigned a little to make room for the retina 13".

18. Mreddielu macrumors newbie

I think that is the best advice you can go on right now. Try your best not to jump the gun too quickly, it's human nature to get what you want immediately. It's only 6 days from today, I'm sure you can sit for less than a week, regardless of whether the price changes. In any case, the availability of the MBA is being pushed back for store pick-up, so it's just fate telling you to be patient!

19. i-sidd thread starter macrumors 6502a

I can definatley wait till oct 23rd. But will they really drop prices on the MBA?

20. Mreddielu macrumors newbie

I've asked the same question not too long ago, and it seems logical that the Summer 2012 price reduction of ~100$ will not repeat itself a mere few months after it. I'm nearly convinced that the price will stay the same.