Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AmbientChaos

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2014
My MBP has a Mini Displayport out. My monitor has DVI/VGA. Ideally I'd just buy the cables to connect the two, but I can't find any for cheap where I live.

I have some other video cables which might be able to bridge the gap, though.

Here's my planned setup:

Mini DisplayPort out -> Mini DisplayPort to HDMI male cable -> HDMI female to VGA out adapter -> VGA cable -> Monitor (VGA)

The key thing is I already have the Mini DisplayPort to HDMi cable, and would like to use it instead of buying a Mini DisplayPort to DVI cable.

Would this work?

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
Unlikely. You're converting DP to HDMI to VGA. You'll likely get a crappy picture if by some miracle it does.

Get the Apple Mini-DP to VGA adaptor and plug it straight into your monitor.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Too many physical connections, I'd say as the other poster did, if it does work. The image won't be all that great.

AmbientChaos

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2014
Alright, no to my idea then. How about a Mini DisplayPort to DVI, plus a DVI cable, instead? It's one or the other (DVI/VGA), though the price of the cable where I live ~$30, is a hard pill for me to swallow considering that's how much I got my monitor for. I'm just reading about how VGA is analog, and if I'm going to spend money on a cable that costs as much as the monitor, I should go for something a bit more... futureproof?

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
This is only 29 dollars, why not just by the Apple Mini-DP to VGA adaptor and be done with it?
miniDPtoVGA.png

AmbientChaos

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2014
You're right. I'm just going to buy that. Thinking back my initial setup would look stupid, assuming it worked. Thanks for the suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.