Can I output video from my MBP using these adapters?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AmbientChaos, Aug 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AmbientChaos macrumors member

AmbientChaos

My MBP has a Mini Displayport out. My monitor has DVI/VGA. Ideally I'd just buy the cables to connect the two, but I can't find any for cheap where I live.

I have some other video cables which might be able to bridge the gap, though.

Here's my planned setup:

Mini DisplayPort out -> Mini DisplayPort to HDMI male cable -> HDMI female to VGA out adapter -> VGA cable -> Monitor (VGA)

The key thing is I already have the Mini DisplayPort to HDMi cable, and would like to use it instead of buying a Mini DisplayPort to DVI cable.

Would this work?

2. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Unlikely. You're converting DP to HDMI to VGA. You'll likely get a crappy picture if by some miracle it does.

Get the Apple Mini-DP to VGA adaptor and plug it straight into your monitor.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Too many physical connections, I'd say as the other poster did, if it does work. The image won't be all that great.

4. AmbientChaos, Aug 15, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2014

AmbientChaos thread starter macrumors member

AmbientChaos

Alright, no to my idea then. How about a Mini DisplayPort to DVI, plus a DVI cable, instead? It's one or the other (DVI/VGA), though the price of the cable where I live ~$30, is a hard pill for me to swallow considering that's how much I got my monitor for. I'm just reading about how VGA is analog, and if I'm going to spend money on a cable that costs as much as the monitor, I should go for something a bit more... futureproof?

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

This is only 29 dollars, why not just by the Apple Mini-DP to VGA adaptor and be done with it?
    [​IMG]

6. AmbientChaos thread starter macrumors member

AmbientChaos

You're right. I'm just going to buy that. Thinking back my initial setup would look stupid, assuming it worked. Thanks for the suggestion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.