Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jweaver

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 15, 2011
I have a privatly owned iPad2 on which I don't have a password.. Infact, if I could I would turn off the "swipe to unlock" screen......

My company has just setup a link to our Email system, so that people like me, can use their iPhone/iPads to get email.. This was obviously appealing since my works Blackberry is a pain to use.

I heard that there were some "rules" regarding the use of an private iPad with work email and I planned on just saying "yes, of course I have a password" and carrying on as I was.. But when I created my email account, I found that the rules were forced.

I have to have a password.. And if you get the password wrong x times, it will wipe the device.

Since this is my own iPad, I don't want this, so I removed the email link so I could have it back as it was... I realise that these 'rules' are in place to protect the company, but in my case they are a bit OTT, and I just wondered if there was any way around it.

are there any 'hacks' to over-ride these rules? Or am I stuck?

Jon

jweaver

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 15, 2011
You are stuck.

Thought so.. Bugger :)

Its a nice idea to have work mail and in truth would make my life much easier... BUT.. Have to put a password in every time I switch on, and having the threat of it getting wiped if someone enters the wrong PW a few time doesn't appeal.

I think I will live without it for the time being.

Cheers

Jon

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
If it's the wiping that really gets to you, it forces mandatory breaks before this happens. Off memory, 3 times wrong-1 minute, another 3-5 minutes, another 2-30 minutes, another 1-bye bye data.

danielowenuk

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2011
I recently added nhsmail to my personal ipad for work, they too insist on you having a passcode for opening the device.

You can however set it to only prompt every 15 minutes, which for me feels much less of a burden.

sbddude

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2010
Nor Cal, USA
is it jailbroken? there's probably a cydia tweak that does what you want.

I know there is a way to remove the lock screen. i do that on my ipad.

SethKOne

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2011
An acquaintance was recently "let go" from a Fortune 500 company for running a utility on his PC that let him access his email without going through the company firewall. No warning, second chance, nothing.

I don't know which company you work for, but these rules are in place for a reason, and more importantly, chances are management take it seriously. I'd think carefully before proceeding.

kalex

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2007
An acquaintance was recently "let go" from a Fortune 500 company for running a utility on his PC that let him access his email without going through the company firewall. No warning, second chance, nothing.

I don't know which company you work for, but these rules are in place for a reason, and more importantly, chances are management take it seriously. I'd think carefully before proceeding.

Yep. U break the rules, get caught, join the unemployment line.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011

imo that fortume 500 company has a mismanaged network if a user can succeed in bypassing their firewall. if they're that serious about their policies, someone ought to have put their network group to some hard questioning.

as for the OP's question, you'd have to be crazy to agree to lockdown your own ipad just so that you can get company email on it. either argue the case to your boss to have them buy you an ipad for business use or shut up and live with your decision. no one put a gun to your head and said you had to.

Last edited:

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
Since this is my own iPad, I don't want this, so I removed the email link so I could have it back as it was... I realise that these 'rules' are in place to protect the company, but in my case they are a bit OTT, and I just wondered if there was any way around it.

are there any 'hacks' to over-ride these rules? Or am I stuck?

Amazing. Because of the severe :rolleyes: imposition of a password, you'd risk your job? You should be fired for having no common sense and being dishonest.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
Yep. U break the rules, get caught, join the unemployment line.

It's their system and security of their property.
As others have mentioned play by their rules or pay the dues.
From my Xoerience when something like skirting the security becomes known there will be a memo sent out regarding the security rules, every employee signs to acknowledge the rules, break them and the next paper will be the walking papers.
I think you spend more time looking for a new job that you'll spend swiping and entering password.

Fry-man22

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2007
Jailbreak and look in Cydia for Exchange unlock to remove the passcode requirement.

jesterscourt

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2009
If they are using an exchange server, this is probably a requirement that you shouldn't supersede. Even if you can "get around it" it is probably a code of conduct violation that would not only get you fired, but not be able to apply for unemployment benefits. Just be careful. Your corporate info is backed up to the exchange server, so backup your Personal Info regularly.

jweaver

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 15, 2011
Amazing. Because of the severe :rolleyes: imposition of a password, you'd risk your job? You should be fired for having no common sense and being dishonest.

Calm down every.. "dishonest"?? Hang on.. It was mearly a question.. Dishonest is hardly appropriate, is it?

My iPad never leaves the house so other than a burglery, no-one could get access to it... No one is asking or even forcing me to use it for work.. But its would just be convenient for me use it for Work email rather than suffer RSI from using my BB for hours every day... But I am not willing to lock my iPad down like this, for something which doesn't really benefit me, so I gave up on the idea.

Whether its "common sense" or not, I just figured that there might be a way to get around the restriction.. After all, in the job that I do, I would be surprised if ANY burglar who happened to break into my house and steal my iPad would be interested in any of the mails that I get or send.

I know its a corporate restriction.. And I know its there for good reason.. But we arn't a high security company there are many breaches far worse than this all over.

But I never imagined that this question would get some of you so uptight, so please cna we drop this.. I get the point.. I am clearly being naive and I deserve to be sacked or worse still burn in hell for eternity for thinking such a terrible thought!

Jon

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.