Can I partition Macbook 250gb HD for both Snow Leopard and Lion?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by alexf9075, Jun 18, 2011.

1. alexf9075 macrumors newbie

2. glossywhite macrumors 65816

glossywhite

How can you expect an accurate and reliable answer, when the product has yet to be released on sale? :rolleyes:

3. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Maybe because it's been in beta for ages? We already know you can burn it to a DVD if you choose so partitioning and installing should be cake.

4. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Because the method in which the OS is installed is no different to any other version of OS X?

5. Detrius macrumors 68000

Well, since it's still not out, we can't *really* know. For all we know, Apple will fail next week, and Lion will never ship.

That being said, there's no reason to think that you couldn't because you've always been able to do this in the past with any operating system on any machine, Mac or PC. That is, the only computers I can think of where this kind of thing is not possible is the computers that aren't really computers (iPhone, iPod, iPad, Android).

6. alexf9075 thread starter macrumors newbie

Great thanks,

I think its safe to make the assumption that I will be able to partition it based on previous OS's (this is what I needed to know) so that will put my mind at rest.

I will also burn a DVD of it just in case everything fails too

7. glossywhite macrumors 65816

glossywhite

How many people does it take to not think before they speak on a forum? Many.

It is very different from the way previous versions were installed, because if you guys had been paying attention, then you'd realise that it is an app from the Mac App Store, and not a DVD (not a DVD *yet*, unless they give an option to create a DVD, which is likely).

I don't recall pre-Lion OS X versions requiring the volume to be partitioned, so that the installer may reside on a small partition.

Bottom line: noone knows what the final product will do, so I suggest you all wait and see, and stop second-guessing, based upon info from Beta releases.

8. Detrius macrumors 68000

But you can install two copies of Snow Leopard on the same drive and then upgrade only one of them. It'll be doable. Don't worry so much. I'm not relying on info from beta releases. I'm relying on logic and what's been officially announced by Apple.

9. alexf9075 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah brilliant, didn't know that, thanks very much :cool: