Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tron2046

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2013
I want to send a corporate video for editing over the internet and I was wondering If I can password protect the file every time it opens?
Is there a program to do this? I have received DVD`s for example that every time you want to watch them they need an unlock code. Is there a similar thing for a .mov or .mp4 or avi file??

Thank you!!!:confused:

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Two approaches that don't require obtaining additional software:

If the recipient has a Mac, you can create an encrypted disk image, put the media in it, and sent that. Also, you can create an encrypted zip file (from the command line) but that encryption is easily broken.

tron2046

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2013
Many thnx!! is there anything to put a password before opening the file?:D

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Can't parse "is there anything to put a password". All three of these approaches package the video file which must be extracted (using GPG, opening the DMG, or extracting from the ZIP file, the extraction process prompts for the password) producing the video file in it's original unencrypted form for playing. If you want to password protect the file against editing, there's no way to do that that I know of.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.