Can I password protect my terminal?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ego killer, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Ego killer macrumors newbie

Hey is there a way to put a password on my Terminal?

My little brother keeps getting into my terminal and changing my password, computer name, etc..

How can I stop this?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Make an encrypted disk image and put the Terminal app into it.

3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

4. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Lock the screen.

This is pretty silly. You can download other Terminal applications and do the same things.

5. Ego killer thread starter macrumors newbie

He needs to be able to get on it though.. If I make another account with restrictions will he still be able to get into the terminal?

----------

How do I make an encrypted disk image?

6. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Yes, but he won't be able to do much if you make it a standard account. You can even restrict the allowed applications.

Don't do this. It is pointless and doesn't solve the problem.

7. Ego killer thread starter macrumors newbie

There isn't a way to just lock Terminal? I want him on my computer when I'm not around but just not on my Terminal. I don't want him messing with things.

8. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

If he has a standard account you won't need to lock Terminal, as he won't be able to do much of anything.

However, you can use Parental Controls to lock down Applications. Here you go.

http://gigaom.com/apple/kid-proofing-a-mac-with-parental-controls/

If he is that inquisitive you may want to set a firmware password, to restrict single user mode, etc.

9. simsaladimbamba

When he is messing with things, he is not really earning any privileges, is he. Just make him a standard user account and keep Terminal restricted via Parental Controls, though if your brother is able to change credentials in Terminal, he can surely just log into your user via resetting its password.

10. Ego killer thread starter macrumors newbie

I've made him a standard account before and his smartass has got into terminal i'm guessing and changed his account to an administrator..

any thoughts?

11. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

This won't be possible in a standard user account. It would require escalated privileges.

Lock down Terminal with Parental Controls. Use a firmware password to restrict booting to the DVD or single user mode.

12. Ego killer thread starter macrumors newbie

Which he's done before. Can I block him completely from terminal so he can't do that? -_-

13. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

He can't change his account type unless he knows your password. Make sure you have a good hard to guess password.

14. Ego killer thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay sorry for my "noobness" How can I put parental controls on terminal? I can't find it. and How do I set up a firmware password?

15. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Look at the link I gave you above for Parental Controls.

Firmware Password: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1352

16. Ego killer thread starter macrumors newbie

Downloaded Firmware thingy: It says "the following disk images couldn't be opened - Reason: Legacy image should be converted"

-_-

17. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Firmware passwords are silly. Simply changing the ram size removes them. The only Mac that they actually do any good on is the Air. Which doesn't have upgradable ram.

18. Ego killer thread starter macrumors newbie

If my brother buys me more ram to remove my firmware password, he's deserved its removal.

How do I add it?

19. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Ram trick no longer works on post 2010 Macs.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3554

You don't download the thing from the article. You boot to: Snow Leopard DVD or Recovery Partition.

20. simsaladimbamba

I understand, but what I meant is, while it might not be possible from inside a Standard account,
    one can reset the password of an admin account with the help of an Install DVD for Mac OS X
    or when one boots into Single User mode, which isn't that hard, if one understands Terminal enough to change a password
    (I can't do that, though it is probably easy if one reads the man - btw, how do I exit the man pages when I come to the end - CTRL+C does not work, nor does ESC?),
    or if one simply follows these, freely available steps.

21. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It doesn't need to be upgraded. Even if you take out one of the sticks, start it, put the one stick back it, it still removes it.

Still does. Reset a firmware password the other day at work on a 2011 Mac Mini that way and my friend's 2011 Macbook Pro.

Press Q.

22. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Which is why I recommended using a Firmware password, to restrict the ability to boot to anything other than the startup disk.

Press 'q' to quit a man page.

23. simsaladimbamba

Thanks. :eek:

24. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Doesn't work on my 2011 Pro or my 2011 Mini. According to Apple, you can't do it, I am going to take their word on this one.

Even so, if this kid is willing to circumvent these things by opening the computer I think that should be addresses with his parents.

25. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Source? Can't say anything about your Macs, but it works and has worked just fine on all the latest and greatest Apple Macs. Even the late 2011 MBP.