Can I pay Apple to upgrade rMBP RAM?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mac-Girl, May 1, 2013.

1. Mac-Girl macrumors newbie

Mac-Girl

Hi guys!

Retina Macbook Pro owner here.
    I ordered mine with 8GB RAM, I couldn't justify the expense of 16 so I left it.

Now I realise the RAM is not user-upgradable - but was just wondering is it possible to take it to an Apple store to have them do it?

Anybody got any experience?

Thankyouu! :)

2. B... macrumors 68000

B...

They cannot do it without replacing the Logic Board with a 16 GB one, which they will not do under any circumstances. Sorry.

3. simsaladimbamba

The RAM is soldered onto the logic board, thus you need to sell your MBP and get the one you want.

4. Mac-Girl thread starter macrumors newbie

Mac-Girl

5. Mac-Girl thread starter macrumors newbie

Mac-Girl

Just had a thought. I'm going to take my laptop to the Apple store soon because it has a defective screen (ghosting)... If they have to replace it could I just ask to pay the difference and get a 16GB one in return?
    Long-shot I know!

6. B... macrumors 68000

B...

I doubt they will, but if you stress that you will pay the $200, they might, but again, I don't think they will since they don't have LBs lying around to replace anytime anyone asks without real cause.

7. Mac-Girl thread starter macrumors newbie

Mac-Girl

I only thought because I know somebody with the same problem and they got a complete replacement.. it seems it varies!

8. locoboi187 macrumors 6502a

I don't wanna sell my macbook just to get the 16gb version since I believe my macbook is perfect with the Samsung display/SSD :rolleyes:

9. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Sadly, that's a contradiction.

10. locoboi187 macrumors 6502a

Or an oxymoron :p

11. maxosx macrumors 68020

Yes it does vary. The key is to be courteous and honest. My brother made the exact same choice you did. The ghosting issue on the early models was really bad, they agreed to replace his with a new one. Then after further consideration he realized he too wanted more memory.

Apple was very accommodating, and refunded the full price he paid, since he would have to place a brand new order online.

The stores only have base models as a rule, and one has to go online, choose the upgrades they want, and wait for Apple to build the computer.

In my case it only took them three days to build one with max ram, max SSD and ship it. Total time from the order till I received it was only one week.

12. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

It's hard for me to believe for an extra 8GB it's 200 dollars.

You're already paying for 8GB, to go one more 8gb to 16 it's wayyy too much :(

13. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

If you ordered online, think from day one Apple website had said that the memory on the rMBP is soldered, so don't believe you could claim you didn't knew could not be upgraded. If you had purchased on a store, perhaps you could have claim the employee did not oriented you well and thus you could had a better chance. On the MacBook Air, on the other hand, until recently the Apple website did not indicated the memory was soldered, so there the claim could had been more valid.