Can i pay get gmail push back?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jmichael99, Aug 21, 2014.

1. jmichael99 macrumors member

iv been told to get google apps but they say i can't use my gmail account it will be my own domain. Anyway to pay to get gmail push back?

2. jabingla2810, Aug 21, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2014

jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

Google stopped supported Push email through Exchange.

If you want Push Gmail, use the Gmail App.

Not sure what you mean by 'own domain'?

3. oldwren macrumors 6502

oldwren

Yes, this is possible if you are using a paid tier of Google Apps for Business or Education. You'll need to make sure you have it set up to manage devices, then set up your email account on your iPhone as an Exchange account. I recently did this to get back Push as well.

As you said, though, Google Apps does require you to have your own domain name, but that's as simple as buying one from any of the myriad registrars and then pointing the MX records to Gmail's servers.

4. jmichael99 thread starter macrumors member

Can you go into more details about this. I have my own domain already. i can signup for google apps for $5 a month. Then you lost me LOL

5. oldwren macrumors 6502

oldwren

First, sign up for Google Apps. Then, during setup, it will ask you to set up Gmail.

At your domain name registrar, add the following MX records to your DNS records: https://support.google.com/a/answer/174125?hl=en

Once Google Apps recognizes that your domain is pointing to Gmail, you can set up email accounts, etc. Then you can enable Exchange: https://support.google.com/a/users/answer/138740?hl=en

6. jmichael99 thread starter macrumors member

ok cool. Now this will work for my current gmail account?

And thanks for your help!!

7. oldwren macrumors 6502

oldwren

No, it won't work for a Gmail account—this will only work for new or existing Google Apps accounts. You can, however, pretty easily copy/transfer your emails from Gmail to Google Apps once set up.

8. C DM macrumors Westmere

I was just going to mention that NuevaSync is one of the alternatives that seems to be mentioned here and there (aside from Google Apps option).

Of course the other options are other apps that can do push for Gmail, like the Gmail app, or Mailbox app. Also forwarding Gmail to another account like Hotmail or iCloud which support push.