Can I pick up a BTO at a Brick & Mortar?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dmaxdmax, Jun 14, 2007.

1. dmaxdmax macrumors 6502

dmaxdmax

I like the idea of buying at a B&M store since I could check the screen and ports and everything on the spot. However, it's doubtful that I'll get a stock item so that leaves me with the online store. (right?) Can I have the best of both worlds and buy online but take delivery in-store? Or should I take delivery here and bring it to the store? Or doesn't it matter? I've been a user (evangelist) since 1985 so it won't be my first Mac. Up to now I've always bought stock items (+RAM) so MacZone has been fine.

The object of my lust is a 17" MBP w/HiDef. I assume this is a BTO since it's an on-line option.

BTW - A major concern for me is how the MBP deals with my Sony HC1 camcorder (HiDef). Seemingly at random, some iMacs and MBs recognize it and others don't. I've tested this in the Apple Store and no one has been able to explain it. If I compromise and get a 15" stock machine + ACD will they allow me to test in the store before accepting the unit?

Sorry - lots of questions in one thread. Thanks.

2. Topono macrumors member

The Apple Store does have HD 17'' MBPs in stock.

3. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

nOPE

While Apple stores might offer different versions of laptops (say both glossy and matte screened MBPs with upgraded hard drives) you can't actually pick up a BTO in store or order one via the store itself.

So...ask them what they have in stock and if a particular version suits you, grab it. If not, head to apple.com.

4. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

a friend recently wanted to do what you're asking about. He found that the Apple store near him would help him order a BTO configuration but they wouldn't let him have it delivered to the store for him to pick up

5. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

No BTO in the stores and they won't let you open the box until you purchase it.