Can I "Piggyback" another router off a Timecapsule?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by zepharus, Apr 13, 2008.

1. zepharus macrumors 6502a

zepharus

I want to pick up a timecapsule for the Wireless N ability and time machine backup for my MBP. The issue is that myself and the kids use the Xbox 360 a lot. It is well documented that the Wireless adapter (G) fro the Xbox 360 will not connect to Timecapsule.

MY question is this...Can I "piggyback" my old D-Link Gamerlounge router off the timecapsule via Ethernet and simply connect to my Xbox 360 through that still? Any thoughts? I really cannot use the wired Ethernet connect for the 360 as it is several rooms away, and I would rather not spend the xtra $$ for a and AEBS....

Im hoping someone can help...

2. kalex macrumors 65816

which device is going to be doing the routing? you can't have 2 active routers doing your internet routing. u could set up your old router on a separate network if you want and use your xbox isolated.

so its going to look like this:

timecapsule connects to internet and you local lan so it has 2 ips. External ip on its WAN side and internal IP on your LAN side.

WAN side - 159.x.x.x address (this is only an example)
    LAN side - 192.168.1.1 (again example)

Setup your old router so that its public WAN address is 192.168.1.2 and its default gateway would be LAN ip of your timecapsule

and your LAN side of your old router is set to be 192.168.2.1
    Then you can connect your Xbox as 192.168.2.2 and it should work

This should do it

I have done this setup on enterprise grade equipment (cisco PIX, and Sonicwall) routers and firewalls so there are more features to use, but same principle should apply to home routers as well

Alex

3. zepharus thread starter macrumors 6502a

zepharus

The one thing that confuses me is freaking networking. I have built, stripped, overclocked, and generally know PCs inside out. Networking still perplexes me a bit which I hate :(

So it seems I can do this? I am using a 30/5 Fios connection which Ill pipe right into the Timecapsule. Basically I want the TC to server my 2 PCs and 2 Macs with the separate D-Link serving the 360.....

4. kalex macrumors 65816

your D-link will use your time capsule connection and will serve your xbox which is on different network.

another options which might be easier is to sell your wireless adapter for the xbox and get airport express. then you can use built in ethernet connection on the xbox and bridge it using wireless connection

alex

5. zepharus thread starter macrumors 6502a

zepharus

Stellar idea.. thanks man!

6. ThirteenXIII macrumors 6502a

at N Speeds too =)